M20C Questions from a Potential Buyer

Hey everyone. Back again. I'm in the final stages of buying into a partnership but I do have a question. I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this or not but hopefully you guys can help.

The plane I'm looking at has no DME but has a KLN90 (not A or B). The KLN90 is VFR only right now but is IFR capable for enroute/terminal only. I think the KLN90A/B has approaches. The fact that I will have no DME, or GPS in lieu of DME, really limits what approaches I can do around here.

My questions are:

1. Even though it can be IFR for enroute/terminal only, can I still use it in lieu of DME for approaches? I'm not shooting a GPS approach with it, just using the DME information.

2. Other than the GPS update, what would it take to make it IFR certified? Are we talking large $$??

This isn't a "make it or break it", but, I'd hate to have to constantly divert because I don't have DME.

<p>It will be dependant upon the airplane, but my guess is a good portion come with them.  If not, it's not that expensive to have an intercom system put in and add the additional jacks in the back seats.</p>

<p>The older models should have a red light (unlocked)/green light indication (locked).  You can see the lights in this shot.</p>

<p>Brian</p>

Brian, where is your compass mounted? I am looking for a spot for a 496 in my C model and I like your spot, but where is your compass now?