Removing the Front Seats

Also, once the front is off (above) the rail, you must keep the seat very straight and not lift up the front as you slide it back.  If it’s not straight or tilts back, the rear part (which is still attached to the rail) binds against the rail.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tim-37419 said:

If your seats are also vertically adjustable, fiddle with that as well. I think I make mine higher when taking them out.

The vertical adjustment also moves the seat pan fore and aft. On mine, I can get the seats out if I set the height to about the middle of the range, but it’s easiest if I set it all the way down and remove the front from the rails and then move the seat all the way up and slide it to the back to remove the rear from the rails.

2 hours ago, Tim-37419 said:

If your seats are also vertically adjustable, fiddle with that as well. I think I make mine higher when taking them out.

The adjustable seats also move forward as they move up.  More seat cushion to compress against the middle console 

• Like 1

So front off first?  I had done rear first in other Mooneys.  I will try again.  I removed cotter pins, but felt there was some other stop preventing seat from coming out.

Edited by Echo

2 minutes ago, Echo said:

So front off first?  I had dne rear first n other Mooneys.  I will try again.  I removed cotter pins, but felt there was some other stop preventing seat from coming out.

It’s just the cotter pins. Front first. 

• Like 3

On 1/28/2024 at 11:05 AM, Echo said:

So front off first?  I had done rear first in other Mooneys.  I will try again.  I removed cotter pins, but felt there was some other stop preventing seat from coming out.

It’s important to remove the front first because the front “claw” that goes over the seat rail is longer than the rear, and it will bind if it is still connected and you lift the rear up, off of the rail.

Skip gave the procedure best.

Seat down, slide forward and lift front.

Raise seat, slide back and lift rear.

• Like 3