Spinner & bulkead shim tape

I’m replacing my spinner bulkhead. What’s  the best material to buy for properly shimming a spinner to a bulkhead? I was reading SB 219 and it says 6.5 mil x .5 wide “scotch brand” 3M tape, pressure sensitive 549. When I search the tape it comes up as 5490 PTFE film tape.  Is that the current day equivalent?  @Cody Stallings?

47 minutes ago, 201Steve said:

I’m replacing my spinner bulkhead. What’s  the best material to buy for properly shimming a spinner to a bulkhead? I was reading SB 219 and it says 6.5 mil x .5 wide “scotch brand” 3M tape, pressure sensitive 549. When I search the tape it comes up as 5490 PTFE film tape.  Is that the current day equivalent?  @Cody Stallings?

I discovered my spinner bulkhead missing AFTER my backplate started coming apart in flight.  Good luck getting yours shimmed properly.  

Looks like a typo in the SB. The IPC calls for 5491. I can’t imagine it matters as long as you get a good fit with some slippery tape. We used some UHMW tape we had on hand. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, PT20J said:

Looks like a typo in the SB. The IPC calls for 5491. I can’t imagine it matters as long as you get a good fit with some slippery tape. We used some UHMW tape we had on hand. 

McMaster Carr has UHMW tape in various widths and lengths. Great for those chafing areas on flaps, gear doors, cowl, etc

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DCarlton said:

discovered my spinner bulkhead missing AFTER my backplate started coming apart in flight.  Good luck getting yours shimmed properly.  

Wow, the forward bulkhead just wasn’t installed?? Seems like there would have been a bunch of open screw holes visible on the outside of the spinner. 

• Like 1

This is what I got from ASEI with a replacement spinner.

For mine (which I unfortunately didn't get any pictures of) the forward bulkhead is a plastic piece that fits over the front of the propeller hub that is shaped to fit with the inner wall of the spinner.  You shim it forward and backward with rings like giant thin washers such that it has just a little tension on it when the back of the spinner is screwed onto the backplate.  

PXL_20240610_160715912.jpg

4 hours ago, 201Steve said:

Wow, the forward bulkhead just wasn’t installed?? Seems like there would have been a bunch of open screw holes visible on the outside of the spinner. 

Not on the three blade McCauley.  It's just pressed on.  It's a plastic part.  Apparently it does provide some support and vibration dampening though.  

• Thanks 1