Already Bought!: M20E or M20F

Edit: I am closing soon on a lovely local m20F.  Thank you all for the offers!

I am in the market for my first plane, and I think the Mooney M20E or M20F is the right one for me.  Budget-wise I am planning on spending around $50-90k.  I really can't put down more than 90 on the plane itself as I want to keep a good amount of cash reserves for the inevitable unexpecteds!  I'm not in a major rush, and in fact am still waiting for my PPL checkride date.  I absolutely plan on Mooney transition training and have a local CFII Mooney enthusiast and trainer that seems like a great resource.  I'm located in CT and don't mind traveling so much, but the nearer the plane is the easier to visit!

Please let me know if you are thinking of selling any time in the near future :)

• Like 1

Hi Flyler,

I have a 1968 M20F that I'm looking to sell or trade in on a newer Mooney. I really love my M20F, but unfortunately my mission has changed, and the M20F is just not suitable.

The price is $75k. Aircraft is in great shape. Panel is all steam gages.

Let me know if you're interested in getting a look at some pictures and recent log entries from its annual.

Gio

IMG_0225.JPEG

IMG_1104.JPEG

IMG_1103.JPEG

2 hours ago, TerminalSpeed said:

Hi Flyler,

I have a 1968 M20F that I'm looking to sell or trade in on a newer Mooney. I really love my M20F, but unfortunately my mission has changed, and the M20F is just not suitable.

The price is $75k. Aircraft is in great shape. Panel is all steam gages.

Let me know if you're interested in getting a look at some pictures and recent log entries from its annual.

Gio

IMG_0225.JPEG

IMG_1104.JPEG

IMG_1103.JPEG

Hi Gio,

Where are you located?

Plane is hangered at O27.

And here's some more particulars... I should have included them earlier:

• TTAF - 6195
  • SMOH - 1907
  • PMOH - 2521

BTW: I have all the Service Log Books digitized, so IM me if you'd like a link and I can share them with you if you're serious about your interest.

Edited by TerminalSpeed

6 hours ago, TerminalSpeed said:

Plane is hangered at O27.

And here's some more particulars... I should have included them earlier:

• TTAF - 6195
  • SMOH - 1907
  • PMOH - 2521

BTW: I have all the Service Log Books digitized, so IM me if you'd like a link and I can share them with you if you're serious about your interest.

That is a pretty big number for an F that has an engine <100hours to major and a prop well over TBO.  Understand you can ask any amount for  anything that is for sale.  Curious how you came upon that sale price?  Original poster for a datapoint I purchased an M20E with approx 3000 hours on airframe, 400 hours on engine overhauled by lycoming in 2019 to new limts.  Prop has 500.  My buy in was in area of this ask.  Paint and interior are a lot less than an engine, prop and avionics...

50 minutes ago, Echo said:

That is a pretty big number for an F that has an engine <100hours to major and a prop well over TBO.  Understand you can ask any amount for  anything that is for sale.  Curious how you came upon that sale price?  Original poster for a datapoint I purchased an M20E with approx 3000 hours on airframe, 400 hours on engine overhauled by lycoming in 2019 to new limts.  Prop has 500.  My buy in was in area of this ask.  Paint and interior are a lot less than an engine, prop and avionics...

Interesting.  I was just thinking that's a pretty good price.  There's nothing listed on Trade-a-Plane for less than $75k and that one is in much worse shape than TerminalSpeed's.  Many of those don't have the cowl closure or the 201 windshield or other mods that his does.  Another big plus for me is his manual gear.  I'll agree that the shotgun panel and older avionics aren't desirable, but it seems to me the high engine and prop hours are being factored into his price.  If it's flying regularly, it could go far beyond TBO.

On 4/14/2024 at 6:34 PM, Echo said:

Price is negotiable, as all things are.

However, the substantiation for the price came from three different sources. Spoke with folks at GMAX, which have actually sold this specific aircraft two owners ago and are very familiar with it and whom I consider the primary authority on reasonable pricing. I then did some research using the PlanePhD folks. Lastly I received an official offer from a broker on a trade in. I then figured out the lower bound of the value based on those data sets, given the noted high hours on the airframe, near TBO on the Engine and the fact that although I've been told the prop has been maintained, I can't find evidence of that in the log books.

N532D flies beautifully and sips fuel, which is great for trips around 400NM or less, for me. My mission has changed  to a 800NM trip weekly, and across two mountain ranges, which makes N532D, unfortunately, the wrong machine for the mission. I would not be selling it if it were not for the change in mission.

To anyone interested, I just recently also got a USED Garmin GPS 155XL that I've not installed yet. The unit comes with the purchase price if the aircraft is purchased soon, else I'll get it installed during it's annual in August.

I believe this to be a great entry point for a Mooney, with great potential to do as you please for engine and panel. Maybe an upgrade to the Penn Yan engine and power flow exhaust installed now would be a Lycoming IO-390, which has an STC for the F-model. You'll easily rival much more expensive aircrafts with a modest investment, but the great thing is that you get to decide where to invest for both the engine and additional panel upgrades, and you will not need to be in a hurry. Depending on weather you fly the average 50ish hours per year or south of that, you'll have two years to accrue funds for Engine and Panel upgrades.

On 4/22/2024 at 8:17 AM, TerminalSpeed said:

Price is negotiable, as all things are.

However, the substantiation for the price came from three different sources. Spoke with folks at GMAX, which have actually sold this specific aircraft two owners ago and are very familiar with it and whom I consider the primary authority on reasonable pricing. I then did some research using the PlanePhD folks. Lastly I received an official offer from a broker on a trade in. I then figured out the lower bound of the value based on those data sets, given the noted high hours on the airframe, near TBO on the Engine and the fact that although I've been told the prop has been maintained, I can't find evidence of that in the log books.

N532D flies beautifully and sips fuel, which is great for trips around 400NM or less, for me. My mission has changed  to a 800NM trip weekly, and across two mountain ranges, which makes N532D, unfortunately, the wrong machine for the mission. I would not be selling it if it were not for the change in mission.

To anyone interested, I just recently also got a USED Garmin GPS 155XL that I've not installed yet. The unit comes with the purchase price if the aircraft is purchased soon, else I'll get it installed during it's annual in August.

I believe this to be a great entry point for a Mooney, with great potential to do as you please for engine and panel. Maybe an upgrade to the Penn Yan engine and power flow exhaust installed now would be a Lycoming IO-390, which has an STC for the F-model. You'll easily rival much more expensive aircrafts with a modest investment, but the great thing is that you get to decide where to invest for both the engine and additional panel upgrades, and you will not need to be in a hurry. Depending on weather you fly the average 50ish hours per year or south of that, you'll have two years to accrue funds for Engine and Panel upgrades.

Indeed.  Carry on.  Good luck with your sale.

On 4/22/2024 at 6:17 AM, TerminalSpeed said:

Just curious... Are you planning a Turbo Mooney for your longer and higher flights?  Or going with something completely different?  Seems like a 231 or 252 would be ideal if you can sit in the seat that long.  

I think we met at the PPP at KSMX.  -dan

14 hours ago, Bolter said:

Just curious... Are you planning a Turbo Mooney for your longer and higher flights?  Or going with something completely different?  Seems like a 231 or 252 would be ideal if you can sit in the seat that long.  

I think we met at the PPP at KSMX.  -dan

Hi Dan,

I have not decided yet, but I'm leaning heavily toward a Turbo Mooney.

7 minutes ago, TerminalSpeed said:

Hi Dan,

I have not decided yet, but I'm leaning heavily toward a Turbo Mooney.

If you decide to go that route, a buddy of mine is selling his 2000 Turbo Bravo: https://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Single+Engine+Piston&make=MOONEY&model=M20M+BRAVO&listing_id=2429288&s-type=aircraft . It's also got built-in O2 and is the only Bravo with a factory A/C system, which we exercised last week. LED lights, pulse lights, speed brakes, and they recently overhauled a few things in the panel, the 430W and the HSI IIRC. It's regularly flying. I've flown it a handful of times and it flies really nicely, plus gets into the flight levels with ease. Up in the flight levels is where that plane shines on longer trips, we've gotten 200+ KTAS multiple times. I think he already has a few interested buyers so reach out quick if you're interested. 

On 4/9/2024 at 11:16 AM, Flyler said:

I am in the market for my first plane, and I think the Mooney M20E or M20F is the right one for me.  Budget-wise I am planning on spending around $50-90k.  I really can't put down more than 90 on the plane itself as I want to keep a good amount of cash reserves for the inevitable unexpecteds!  I'm not in a major rush, and in fact am still waiting for my PPL checkride date.  I absolutely plan on Mooney transition training and have a local CFII Mooney enthusiast and trainer that seems like a great resource.  I'm located in CT and don't mind traveling so much, but the nearer the plane is the easier to visit!

Please let me know if you are thinking of selling any time in the near future :)

Check Indy air website I believe they just listed one .. 

also have you checked insurance ?  Guessing your looking north of $6,000

58 minutes ago, RightrudderM20E said:

Check Indy air website I believe they just listed one .. 

also have you checked insurance ?  Guessing your looking north of $6,000

As a reference point... I have 325 hrs in a Mooney, and I'm not IFR rated... so low hours, and lower grade of permit. and my insurance is $2600 per year.

• 1 month later...
  • Flyler changed the title to Already Bought!: M20E or M20F