M20J ferry pilot needed

Matt103187

Hello everyone,

First post here. Been a member for a while and just bought my first Mooney. It’s currently at maxwell’s and need it brought to Maryland (2w6). Would prefer a CFI that I could fly with them and log the hours for the 10 hour requirement my insurance is requiring. 

Thanks,

Matthew DiMarco

Congratulations and welcome to having a Mooney.

2 minutes ago, Matt103187 said:

Would prefer a CFI that I could fly with them and log the hours for the 10 hour requirement my insurance is requiring.

Let me just point out that you don't want to do that. Or rather, you don't want to just sit in a Mooney for 10 hours xcountry and check that off as 10 hours of transition training. It's totally great to use that flight as additional practice, but you really do want to get at least 5-10 hours of dedicated transition training performing maneuvers and landings with a Mooney-familiar instructor.

• Like 5

Congratulations and welcome to having a Mooney.
Let me just point out that you don't want to do that. Or rather, you don't want to just sit in a Mooney for 10 hours xcountry and check that off as 10 hours of transition training. It's totally great to use that flight as additional practice, but you really do want to get at least 5-10 hours of dedicated transition training performing maneuvers and landings with a Mooney-familiar instructor.

I completely understand and thank you!! I do not plan to fly solo until I am 100% comfortable and confident in the Mooney. But it would be an awesome cross country and great time to learn all the avionics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Matt103187 said:

Hello everyone,

First post here. Been a member for a while and just bought my first Mooney. It’s currently at maxwell’s and need it brought to Maryland (2w6). Would prefer a CFI that I could fly with them and log the hours for the 10 hour requirement my insurance is requiring. 

Thanks,

Matthew DiMarco

I would highly agree with what @201er mentioned. I brought my J from near Tampa to northern Va when I got it. the flight in cruise is not as instructional as you really need to check that box. so yes you would technically have the hrs, but you would not be doing yourself any favors by going off solo at that point. For me It was around hr 16-18 before I told my transition CFI I felt comfortable with him hopping out of the plane for me to get the additional 10 hr solo before passengers. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Matt103187 said:

I completely understand and thank you!! I do not plan to fly solo until I am 100% comfortable and confident in the Mooney. But it would be an awesome cross country and great time to learn all the avionics.

I agree with your philosophy. Local flights, maneuvers, and multiple landings are for learning how to fly the airplane. Cross countries teach avionics and, with relatively faster airplanes, staying  ahead. The extended time can also help  develop a level of comfort in a number of ways.

But I've never waited for 100% before soloing. To me, getting to that level (which  so far I have never achieved) from "competence" without the distraction of passengers or instructor is the  purpose of solo.

Edited by midlifeflyer
  • Like 1

Did you buy through Jimmy?

If so, he can arrange a ferry pilot, who is a CFI for the checkout when he and the plane arrives.

I am in a similar situation, my new to me plane is in Houston area, will be based in MD (0W3).  I am going to fly down, and arranged an instructor (from the list on Mooney Flyer).

Do the 5 hours dual required  by the insurance, and they fly the it back home, covering the 5 hour solo requirement.

Did you buy through Jimmy?
If so, he can arrange a ferry pilot, who is a CFI for the checkout when he and the plane arrives.
I am in a similar situation, my new to me plane is in Houston area, will be based in MD (0W3).  I am going to fly down, and arranged an instructor (from the list on Mooney Flyer).
Do the 5 hours dual required  by the insurance, and they fly the it back home, covering the 5 hour solo requirement.

I did, I will ask him about that!
Thanks.