Cost of having a mooney (or similar) ferried over the Atlantic? Guesses welcome :-)

Has anyone here had their mooney or similar aircraft ferried over from the US (in my case East Coast) to continental Europe (or vice-versa - I imagine costs are similar)?

This is a purely exploratory conversation for now and that's why I haven't sough out a quote outright from the known quantities in the space.

I'm just trying to figure out whether we're talking $5K, $10K, or $30K - order of magnitude estimates really.

Related: how hard is it to get your FAA PPL or CPL converted to the EASA equivalent?

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks!!!

The topic of ferrying comes up often around here…

Mostly, it turns into methods of flying across the pond that gets done by a few people each year…

If you look at the costs of flying the distance… it’s a lot of money in gasoline…. 
Then include the hourly wage of your favorite pilot…

Feed him… put him up for a few nights…

Add some margin…

Cover the insurance bump…

Don’t forget the safety equipment or turtlepac if you need more capacity…

Your FAA license is your ticket to fly…

You may need a radio depending on who’s airspace you transit…

Returning your favorite pilot is probably part of the equation…

Returning your plane when you’re done is expected too…

It would be hard to be a CB and do this for a simple two week vacation…

You wouldn’t need to be a 1%er either…

PP thoughts only, not a transatlantic finance guy…

Best regards,

-a-

If you figure on 10-15k each way you should be in the right sort of ballpark. It won't be much less, but could be a lot more depending on the weather and constraints you put in.

If using a ferry company, before you use SkyFerry and/or a Mr Weaver, do a very thorough internet search, starting with here and pprune before deciding to part with any cash (probably applies to any ferry service)

On the other hand, I can personally recommend A2B and David Plange

Also, if this is a permanent or long term import, there may have taxes to pay on arrival - do check the limits out!

Related: how hard is it to get your FAA PPL or CPL converted to the EASA equivalent?
If you don't have to convert it then don't! On the other hand if you must, then although it should be the same in all EASA states there is some variation. Remember the UK is no longer an EASA member too! It depends to a degree how many hours you have as well as the licence type, and if you have an IR to convert as well

Edited by Awful_Charlie
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Awful_Charlie said:

If you figure on 10-15k each way you should be in the right sort of ballpark. It won't be much less, but could be a lot more depending on the weather and constraints you put in.

If using a ferry company, before you use SkyFerry and/or a Mr Weaver, do a very thorough internet search, starting with here and pprune before deciding to part with any cash (probably applies to any ferry service)

On the other hand, I can personally recommend A2B and David Plange

Also, if this is a permanent or long term import, there may have taxes to pay on arrival - do check the limits out!

If you don't have to convert it then don't! On the other hand if you must, then although it should be the same in all EASA states there is some variation. Remember the UK is no longer an EASA member too! It depends to a degree how many hours you have as well as the licence type, and if you have an IR to convert as well

This would be a more permanent move. I'm trying to figure out whether the best option would be to take the Mooney to Europe and fly it on my FAA license, or if it's easier/better to sell the Mooney here, buy another one registered over there and convert my CPL + IR to an EASA equivalent.

Good call on the taxes...

9 hours ago, Ulysse said:

There is a very detailed breakdown of the costs here:

http://www.n97nm.com/2017/?m=1

However, it seems that the costs have increased sharply due to the pandemic.

A professional pilot doing this for you would charge probably no less than 15k, maybe 20k, as long as you do that by September/October. 

Quite the adventure

5 hours ago, ArtVandelay said:

I would do the flying myself, save money.
Assuming 3000 miles, 150 kts and $10/hr…200 gallons
Fuel is expensive, so average $10/gal…$2000 in just fuel.
Assuming 6 stops, $100/stop in fees…$600
2 layovers, $200/night….my guess is $3000 if you do it yourself.

I'm not man enough :D

You could contact Guido Warnecke: Owner and world-wide delivery pilot at Aero Logistics (guido-warnecke.com)

If you have ever watched any of his Youtube videos, he is extremely professional and an awesome pilot.  I don't know how much he charges but I know by watching his videos he is probably one of the best.  And he has flown many a Mooney.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, philip_g said:

It's 20-25k to Hawaii so I'd expect similar with the additional permitting and insurance cost 

yeah that seems to be the right range. I'm starting to think it might be more economical to just sell it here and buy a new one over there. And without the added risk of flying/having someone fly a single-engine plane over the atlantic.

• Like 1