TSIO-550-G5B

Good morning Guys, 

I understand the newer Acclaims Type S and Ultras have Continental TSIO-550-G5B which has a 2200 Hr TBO. Older Acclaims Type S have only 2000 Hr TBO. 

I heard that older engines were having some problems and in 2011 Continental and Mooney determined the oil breather tube could be blocked and issued a Service Bulletin to resolve issue. Then in 2015 Continental incorporated a cylinder modification to include another oil port that spray oil in the exhaust value guide area giving the engine more time between overhauls. 

Does anybody know if when TBO is due on an older Acclaim you could replace the Continental Engine for the newer 2200 Hr TBO one? 

Happy New Year! 

10 hours ago, Fernando Paez said:

Good morning Guys, 

I understand the newer Acclaims Type S and Ultras have Continental TSIO-550-G5B which has a 2200 Hr TBO. Older Acclaims Type S have only 2000 Hr TBO. 

I heard that older engines were having some problems and in 2011 Continental and Mooney determined the oil breather tube could be blocked and issued a Service Bulletin to resolve issue. Then in 2015 Continental incorporated a cylinder modification to include another oil port that spray oil in the exhaust value guide area giving the engine more time between overhauls. 

Does anybody know if when TBO is due on an older Acclaim you could replace the Continental Engine for the newer 2200 Hr TBO one? 

Happy New Year! 

The 2200 Hr TBO also has a 12 year limit, so if you are flying 183 hours per year you get a 2200 hour TBO.

• 11 months later...
On 1/4/2021 at 6:31 AM, Fernando Paez said:

Good morning. 

Thank you. 

Do you know if the other Oil Port to spray Oil in the Exhaust Valve Guide area could be added when doing a Top Overhaul for instance? 

Regards, 

FP 

It sounds like you are thinking about the Mooney Bravo that has oil cooled Exhaust Valve Guides. That engine is a Lycoming TIO-540-AF1B