Cylinder head/barrel separation at 14,500ft.

DanM20C

2 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Dan, is there any sort of "write-up" you could give us on how aviation insurance works after an incident? This is one part of flying I have no knowledge of and it seems to be a limited pool of people to explain.

I had a relatively minor incident in my old M20D that resulted in a total loss due to the high cost of repairs.  My insurance rates went up a few hundred dollars a year in spite of the fact that the FAA found that there was no pilot error.  I had insurance through AOPA at the time and the rep told me that the only company that would insure me was the one who had paid my claim and they would charge me increased rates to recoup their loss.  My rates have gone back down some and I have switched brokers but I have had to report that incident on my insurance application every year.  I think I may have reached the time limit on reporting it this year.

• Like 1

Works just like any other claim.  You have an adjuster and you pay the deductible.  My experience was the the aviation insurance company was utterly horrible, it was like pulling teeth tot get them to pay.  The adjuster wanted all this info from the logbooks, they were asking me when the books were with the airplane.  The mechanic got tired of the guy, said he wan't anyone's damn secretary.  I kinda agree with my A&P, this kid of legwork is an adjuster's job, at least to my way of thinking.

The tricky part comes when you want to renew or get a policy on your new aircraft.  My insurance is expensive, and is likely to stay that way.  The one good thing is I was able to get away from that company so I will never again have to deal with a that stinking adjuster.  I ate about a half grand in damage just so I didn't have to deal with that guy.

3 hours ago, M20Doc said:

If this type of failure worries you, ask your maintainer to spray the cylinder heads with soap and water while doing cylinder compression checks.  We’ve found cracked heads this way before.  It only takes a few extra minutes during annual inspection.

Luckily this problem seems to effect TCM engines more than Lycoming engines.

Clarence

Luckily....unless one owns and operates a TCM engine.  Thanks for the soapy tip.

• Like 1

Nicely done Dan. 

This is the reason why I recommend engine analyzers to clients, even if they think they cant use it because they have carbs. You where able to see on the analyzer that you had an issue BEFORE it started coming out of the sky. 

BTW, second run cyls should provide you with good life. I hope you make a lamp stand out of that popped cyl. Good conversation starter for your BBQ guests.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, M20Doc said:

If this type of failure worries you, ask your maintainer to spray the cylinder heads with soap and water while doing cylinder compression checks.  We’ve found cracked heads this way before.  It only takes a few extra minutes during annual inspection.

Luckily this problem seems to effect TCM engines more than Lycoming engines.

Clarence

Thanks Clarence. I think I’m going to start doing the soapy water trick every other oil change.

i just found out that a Cardinal on my field had a head let go a three years ago.  That was on a 4 cylinder Lycoming. I imagine it’s twice as likely to happen on a 8 cylinder:)

16 hours ago, Raptor05121 said:

Dan, is there any sort of "write-up" you could give us on how aviation insurance works after an incident? This is one part of flying I have no knowledge of and it seems to be a limited pool of people to explain.

Because of my total loss I’m now on a first name basis with my adjuster . I called him to see if there was a claim here and he said unfortunately not, being the damage was limited to just the engine. Global was my carrier for the total lost and continue to be. They have been very good to work with. My premiums are a little higher than I would like (partially due to the total loss). But they paid out far more to me than they will ever get back from me in premiums.  I can’t get upset over them not covering something like this.

Cheers,

Dan

9 hours ago, tangogawd said:

Nicely done Dan. 

This is the reason why I recommend engine analyzers to clients, even if they think they cant use it because they have carbs. You where able to see on the analyzer that you had an issue BEFORE it started coming out of the sky. 

BTW, second run cyls should provide you with good life. I hope you make a lamp stand out of that popped cyl. Good conversation starter for your BBQ guests.

Unfortunatly this will be my second cylinder lamp. Years ago I had a rocker shaft boss break on my O200. A bit less dramatic than this one.  I made a lamp out of it though.

Damn Continentals.. :)

Cheers,

Dan

7 hours ago, DanM20C said:

Thanks Clarence. I think I’m going to start doing the soapy water trick every other oil change.

i just found out that a Cardinal on my field had a head let go a three years ago.  That was on a 4 cylinder Lycoming. I imagine it’s twice as likely to happen on a 8 cylinder:)

Because of my total loss I’m now on a first name basis with my adjuster . I called him to see if there was a claim here and he said unfortunately not, being the damage was limited to just the engine. Global was my carrier for the total lost and continue to be. They have been very good to work with. My premiums are a little higher than I would like (partially due to the total loss). But they paid out far more to me than they will ever get back from me in premiums.  I can’t get upset over them not covering something like this.

Cheers,

Dan

I’ve had one fuel injector blockage in my RV4 and it shook pretty good, I’m not sure I’d want to fly my airplane or any other with a dead cylinder.  

I’ve seen more cylinder mounting stud failures than head/barrel failures.

Clarence