Gascolator drain

Hi,

When I drain the gascolator with the pin on the floor next to the fuel selector, should I get fuel from both sides? What could potentialy be the issue if fuel flows out from only one side?

Ryan

Ryan,

The fuel gascolator has two lines in (left and right) and two lines out, fuel pump and of course the drain.

When you select the L or F from the selector valve and then pull the pin, it should drain evenly out the same drain hole.  It should not matter if the source of the fuel is left or right.

Since the gascolator system is relying on gravity to work....

If you do not get even flow, you should be looking for things like, valve operation, tank vent blockage, fuel level in each tank, etc...

The gascolator usually gets serviced during the annual.  If you have not seen this done, and the plane is new to you, you may want to ask some help from your A&P.  Open it up and clean it out.  Access to the gascolator is only a small piece of belly skin (slightly difficult to reach because of the front gear doors).

If fuel truly only flows out from one side,  I would be concerned.  This would indicate that fuel is not able to get to the engine from one side.  Or that the fuel pump is working harder to get fuel from one side than the other...

Best regards,

-a-