OP ED-"Little Timmy Wants to Know Why Nobody Likes Airplanes Anymore?

I prefer Ben Carson's plan. It is not cradle to grave. The plan goes beyond the grave as you make your health care decisions. You decide, based on what "funds" you have accumulated through your life if you wish to: "Eat $%^t and die" or cash in YOUR account on end of life efforts to extend your life. The beauty of it is that YOU DECIDE. You are empowered to decide if you want the procedure or not...and YOUR benefits that YOU earn can be passed on to relatives...just like your estate...when YOU die....Because they are YOURS. YOU OWN IT.

The end of life (70-Death) spending in this country is OUT OF CONTROL. It is not society telling you "Eat $%^t and die" It is you through your lifelong decisions on health management and how YOU elect to manage YOUR life.

Freedom, empowerment, ownership, it is a beautiful thing.

Or we can have this debacle.

REPEAL IT. I vote for Ben

What about life long decisions of a 3 year old with leukemia? I mean, if the little shit would just worked a little bit harder and saved a little bit more. Or his/hers now 26 year old parents, fresh out of college, with good jobs but not lifetime of savings yet cause you know, they are 26 years old and not lucky enough to be equipped with trust fund. What do you tell them? 

What about life long decisions of a 3 year old with leukemia? I mean, if the little shit would just worked a little bit harder and saved a little bit more. Or his/hers now 26 year old parents, fresh out of college, with good jobs but not lifetime of savings yet cause you know, they are 26 years old and not lucky enough to be equipped with trust fund. What do you tell them? 

I still need to know how the plan would work. Somebody explain it.

These posts are just hilarious. Raise taxes...That's the answer

Lower taxes...That's a major problem....

What a joke you two are...The fact that you really believe this stuff is so special to see. You gleam when you expouse your liberal love.

I might urinate on Hank's book. Read it and take away being what a "savior he is/was"?

NOPE.

You two continue with your commie love-in. I really do enjoy laughing at your stuff and this is classic.

And you would have become one of the long term unemployed. Had it not been for a bailout, your employer would have gone tits up. What do you know about reinsurance and long term derivates that connect all insurance companies around the world together via a handful of reinsurers that would have all gone belly up if AIG was allowed to fail. Do you even have a faintest idea how all that works? Or do you just not care? I am serious here. Do you know how it works and what keeps you employed and do you just not care?

• Like 1

Regarding this national health care debate. I have just a few observations:

Some of your are being driven by your pride (I am trying not to say "arrogance") and jumping on the "We need to be like France" and then others chime right in "Yeah, look at France's Health Care; we should have what they have." And you are all in liberal compliance agreement! It is just so typical and predictable. I just walk away from the computer until you all get through endorsing each other's error.

France was just one example of a system where universal coverage appears to work, in addition to the UK and Switzerland et al. I don't think anyone is saying that it's perfect, which it is not. As a matter of fact, the French system is in the hole financially, but it may be due to its generous benefit structure, which includes taxi rides to providers, spa treatments and only labeled pharmaceuticals (they turn their nose up at generics). But make no mistake, even with these luxuries the French pay less for their care and outcomes are better than here in the US, including life expectancy (but that may be more genetic than anything). 

Did you read my post on what the conservative Member of Parliament said when Obamacare was being debated? He came out in support of the NHS, stating that it works well but that there is room for improvement. Do citizens have to wait months for a hip replacement, yes they do. Do citizens in distress get treated immediately at the ER? Absolutely. Here is a little excerpt from a Think Tank report on just one aspect of the two systems: 

"It found 48 per cent of doctors in the United States reported problems in getting treatment for their patients compared to only six per cent in Britain, while only 29 per cent of doctors in the US offered an out of hours service compared to 89 per cent in Britain"

As far as Australia is concerned, theirs is a two-tiered system where the state pays for services performed in public hospitals and facilities as well as physicians, who are not employed by the state but practice the same way as they do here, as individuals and employees of groups. Physicians are reimbursed using a fee schedule set by the government but they are not bound to abide by it. The “good” doctors charge what they want and patients have to pony up the difference or pay for gap insurance, which can cost between $400 and $500 a month for a family. The same goes for private hospitals; they accept payment from the “health fund” for the usual and customary charges and go after patients for the remainder. There are definitely waiting lists for surgery (especially hip and joint replacement) at public institutions.

As for funding, citizens pay a 1.5% tax for the healthcare system (called Medicare) but it falls short and the government picks up the shortfall.

Like I said, no system is perfect and the enormity and complexity of human health probably doesn't lend itself to a perfect system.

Oh, insurance companies...One of my old customers, long since retired from business, got drunk once (well, more than once, for being 120lb on a good day, man could hold his liquor) and went on the record with newspaper reporter claiming that there was no such thing as a hail loss in excess of 15% when asked about his amazing year to year profitability. As you can imagine, the insurance department in TN (I think) had an issue with that comment. To add insult to injury, him and Hillary were great buddies going all the way back to Wellesley. Insurance companies are generally owned and run by some rather colorful characters lacking just a bit of character...

Hmmmmm...NFL or watch constitution be destroyed? That's a tough one....

I'd stick to NFL...You know what they say, never believe anything a politician says until he or she officially deny it: "I'm not the emperor of the United States" I think was uttered sometimes in February, 2013. Very fitting, as every empire should have one. I mean, with "official" military presence in 63 countries, what are we but not an empire. Barry didn't start it, that ship has sailed long time ago. He's just putting on finishing touches.

Hmmmmm...NFL or watch constitution be destroyed? That's a tough one....

Wasn't aware you were also a constitutional scholar. 

Your assumption on the subject matter may not be correct based upon what the court said in it's Arizona immigration ruling two years ago, which suggested that the executive branch has discretion in matters of deportation on an individual or entire class of individuals. Of course Scalia dissented.

Really? For someone that constantly pulls links and says how "well read" they are...

Just can't find anything anywhere?....

You are a joke Flyboy...ASSfromCB is probably drunk and Tattletale, well he has his own category...

The reset can't happen soon enough. Guys like me don't have far to fall.

To paraphrase WC, tomorrow I will be sober, but you'll still be as dense as a rock

Wasn't aware you were also a constitutional scholar. 

Your assumption on the subject matter may not be correct based upon what the court said in it's Arizona immigration ruling two years ago, which suggested that the executive branch has discretion in matters of deportation on an individual or entire class of individuals. Of course Scalia dissented.

It's called prosecutorial discretion, goes back to old english common law.

Really? For someone that constantly pulls links and says how "well read" they are...

You are a joke Flyboy...ASSfromCB is probably drunk and Tattletale, well he has his own category...

Since I hadn't received a reply I did read it and was dumbstruck that a physician would actually suggest the plan, which if I read it correctly, calls for your government placing $2,000 a year into a Health Savings account and seeding it at birth.

So how much would that $2,000 buy in terms of healthcare? Let's say at age 10 the kid comes down with leukemia and his HSA was never used and that it's worth $22,000. How are his parents going to cover the remaining $100k in bills? 

How about a 40 year who has $85,000 in his account and needs a double bypass?

If the plan placed $10k a year into the account that would be different, but $2k? Even if the funds in an HSA account could be used to pay for premiums (which they can't), that would buy two to three months of coverage. What a crappy plan by a well respected, educated man.

What say you?

To paraphrase WC, tomorrow I will be sober, but you'll still be as dense as a rock

It's called prosecutorial discretion, goes back to old english common law.

Hey, that's exactly what Judge Andrew "the wolfman" Napolitano said in this clip. FWIW, I liked it when his hair was gray.

http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/3895375683001/obamas-immigration-policies-unconstitutional/#sp=show-clips

I say shocked and surprised that there was not complete agreement with me...after all I am a constitutional scholar

I said it tongue and cheek (sorry you didn't pick up on it) because the Judge has been wrong many times before. His track record is up there with Dick Morris and Rush.

(See how much better he looked with gray hair?)

The primary agency for implementing the president’s new immigration executive order is the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). This agency is entirely self-funded through the fees it collects on various immigration applications. Congress does not appropriate funds for any of its operations, including the issuance of immigration status or work permits, with the exception of the ‘E-Verify’ program. Therefore, the appropriations process cannot be used to “defund” the agency. The agency has the ability to continue to collect and use fees to continue current operations, and to expand operations as under a new executive order, without needing legislative approval by the Appropriations Committee or the Congress, even under a continuing resolution or a government shutdown.

User fees, brought to you by Ronald Reagan, who heavily advocated their implementation in order to shift tax burden onto the middle class. You reap what you sow

Since I hadn't received a reply I did read it and was dumbstruck that a physician would actually suggest the plan, which if I read it correctly, calls for your government placing $2,000 a year into a Health Savings account and seeding it at birth.

So how much would that $2,000 buy in terms of healthcare? Let's say at age 10 the kid comes down with leukemia and his HSA was never used and that it's worth $22,000. How are his parents going to cover the remaining $100k in bills? 

How about a 40 year who has $85,000 in his account and needs a double bypass?

If the plan placed $10k a year into the account that would be different, but $2k? Even if the funds in an HSA account could be used to pay for premiums (which they can't), that would buy two to three months of coverage. What a crappy plan by a well respected, educated man.

What say you?

No rebuttal to this brilliant plan to cover all American's?

What exactly do you think you stand to gain from the "reset"? Anything, or just principle? This is the part I don't understand. Inquiring minds want to know. What do you get? What do I get?

You claim not to have far to fall, which I find hard to believe considering you own a house, an airplane and Porsche, but everyone's idea of "poverty" is different.

Let's see dense vs. a pompous ass.

I choose to be Charles Brown any day to Lucy.

I've never claimed to be anything else but an arrogant prick, and usually drunk between the hours of 5pm to 12am. However, you still have not answered my question. What do you get in the "reset" deal? What do I get? 

Cheers ;-) From my office. I don't even hide it. Always on the window sill. Black box next to it is old school bar/mixing set.

2ztdr39.jpg

Thinking back to the time when we used to have a Surgeon General, I think he put out a warning about the deadly combination of Ibuprofen and booze.