OP ED-"Little Timmy Wants to Know Why Nobody Likes Airplanes Anymore?

What weapon did Eric Garner draw?  What weapon did the 76 year old man in Victoria, TX draw?

I find it interesting that the poeple who shout the loudest about government overreach and losing personal freedoms are also the ones shouting the loudest about following police orders, under penalty of violence or death.

And the whole Cliven Bundy thing, how does that fit in? They brandished hundreds of weapons at federal law enforcement agents. Heroes of Fox News and their followers. BTW two of their group murdered two cops and a third person in Las Vegas soon after the standoff.

Scott, while I admit that my use of the phrase "death by cop" was probably misplaced, you need to take a basic psychology class to learn how humans react differently under various forms of stress. To say that people should simply fall in line is beyond the pale. Maybe in your "utopian" world people follow orders to the T and do as they are told (like lemmings), but we don't live in utopia, now do we?

And while on the subject of "resisting arrest", that's open to interpretation by the officer. To me the 76 year old man was hardly resisting arrest - not by a long shot. So what I hear you saying is that if he died as a result of being Tasered (and many people do), it would have been justified. Simply and unbelievably incredible Scott, simply incredible.

But you are right about one thing. Life in Little Timmy's utopia would be marvelous. And just think about it, police wouldn't even be needed because citizens would all be on their best behaviour at all times. And look how much cities could save by not having the need for a police force!

I was going to buy a house in Wisconsin. I was in Franklin. I pulled into a subdivision. Stopped at the stop sign. saw a child playing to my right. Looked left again and proceeded through the intersection. I saw red dash lights on a car and pulled over. A man without a cap or anything identifying him as a police officer (He had a trench coat on) approached and asked to see my license. I asked if he was a police officer. He said "Yes". I asked him what the problem was. He said I didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign. I said Yes, I did. I was there longer than normal as I saw the kids playing and you coming down the street. He went to his car. Another police car arrives. The uniformed Franklin Police Sargeant approached and I explained what happened. He said "the officer felt you did not provide him with a degree of respect". I explained that I meant no disrespect, I had planned on moving to the area and was looking for a place to live before buying my house. The sargeant said Franklin is a great place to live. I choose to live...elsewhere. No ticket. Profiled? Absolutely. Wrong? Absolutely. Bad cop? No. Young cop? Absolutely. Did he call his superior? Yes. Was it resolved? Yes.

What does this have to do with anything? Nothing.

If it went down as described, and even with your cooperation, it sounds like things could have gotten out of control depending on how the junior officer perceived your intentions. It also sounds to me as if you were questioning the officers observation of the stop and he didn't appreciate your questioning his judgement. By your own definition, you didn't fall in line with the officer because you subtly started arguing with him to the point where he felt the need to call for a backup. 

Everyone is on a short fuse these days, from police to 78 year old men.-AN ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT STATEMENT. THE USE OF EVERYONE IS WRONG

One more thing Scott, what constitutes "resisting" arrest? In this video from the northern part of my state, a 61 year old woman is seen walking away from an officer who wants to talk to her, at which time he zaps her with a Taser. Nevermind that he could have easily gone after her and grabbed her by the arm as she was, what, two feet away from him before he Tasered her.

Was she resisting arrest? Was she even under arrest? Why was she being arrested at all when all the 61 year old was doing was making an inquiry about the scene? By your definition it was all justified because she didn't listen to the cop to move away. What if it turned out she was hard of hearing? But most of all - most of all - was she a threat to the officer's life? Did he fear for his life when he decided she needed to be shot by the Taser?

Your world is so black and white Scott and you don't realize that its predominantly gray.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/10/01/us/florida-police-tase-woman/

• Like 1

What weapon did Eric Garner draw?  What weapon did the 76 year old man in Victoria, TX draw?

I find it interesting that the poeple who shout the loudest about government overreach and losing personal freedoms are also the ones shouting the loudest about following police orders, under penalty of violence or death.

And the whole Cliven Bundy thing, how does that fit in? They brandished hundreds of weapons at federal law enforcement agents. Heroes of Fox News and their followers. BTW two of their group murdered two cops and a third person in Las Vegas soon after the standoff.

Doesn't matter. Nobody get's a free pass. You comply with police. These moral equivalencies, using the Las Vegas case or Eric Frien are pitiful. Funny, never saw those explained away by liberals, CNN or the de Blasio's of the world.  Could you imagine? It was the collective fault of the police, society for not being vigilant, the media, our legal system, race....blah....blah. I love it.....light our city streets up every night until 2016. This crap is alienating the electorate. George Will made a great comment the other day. He cited Obama, Holder and the liberal media for their strong belief of the need to......... "have a conversation about race in America." His response? "IT ALLLLLLLLLL WE TALK ABOUT"!!!!!!

Doesn't matter. Nobody get's a free pass. You comply with police. 

My point this morning is what constitutes compliance? I agree that creating a struggle is most certainly being out of compliance, but does simply questioning an officer and not threatening him or her constitute being out of compliance and being combative?

Authority will treat you with respect when you give it. 

I can't believe you said that. So what you are telling me is that people that have been stopped by the police and cooperated fully were never harassed by them? Are you serious? Do you honestly believe your own words?

Here is an incident of a traffic stop where the driver cooperated yet was tasered anyway because he wasn't moving fast enough for the officer.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svMi0rI9GV8

Here is a traffic stop where the driver cooperated but for one reason or another the cop was ticked off enough to arrest him when the citizen asked the cop for a pen in order to sign the citation. Even as the guy is cuffed, the cop roughs him up. 

Here is a guy shown being tasered while his hands were on the hood of the police car, as ordered by the officer.

Here's the best one of all, a cop pulls a guy over, as the motorist gets out of his car the officer asks him for his license and as he proceeds to get it from his car, the officer shoots him several times. Astonishingly the guy lived.

So where do these incidents fit into your narrative Scott of citizens who fully cooperate and listen to the cops orders and instructions can assume that they will be safe and have nothing to worry about?

Maybe these incidents, which took me only seconds to find, should be a part of the Little Timmy public service announcement on how to respond when questioned by police.

I would also submit to you that the Republicans have had at least a partial house-cleaning (thanks to the Tea Party influence) and have begun to reform to rid their party of corruption,

while on the other hand, the Democrats have loyally supported and re-elected the same corrupt players (to include President Obama) and had almost no reformation or house-cleaning whatsoever! 

Time to follow up on one of our earlier discussions. Here is the story of a Republican congressman who not only hid earnings from the IRS (essentially stealing from hard working American's like you and me), but also hired illegal aliens in his business. Is this corruption or simple hypocrisy? 

Now what was it you were saying about Democrats re-electing the same corrupt people that they send to Washington?

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/12/23/us-usa-crime-grimm-idUSKBN0K11KG20141223

Well I DO COMPLETELY believe that you, SoundBite, would have that response. I am going to continue to live my life in ignorant bliss of all the evil's of law enforcement...I will continue to believe that the scale is tipped heavily toward the police acting in my, the general public's, best interest.

Awesome story out of Milwaukee. Police responded to a knife wielding perp. He chased officers around vehicles. One female officer was starting to become fatigued. They practiced restraint in NOT shooting the suspect. Why? Because they feared civil unrest MORE than they feared being stabbed...

Inside the house, two bodies. The number one suspect? The perp with the knife. Death by cop. NOPE, not this X-Mas eve in Milwaukee.

If only you would have been out walking your dog. I wonder what your response/action/request of the officer's would have been?

I wonder...

Typical response by you Scott, when faced with material that is contrary to your narrative, you simply elect not to comment on it, as if it wasn't presented to you and does not exist.

It may come as a surprise to you, but I fully support the police - maybe too much. Do a search here on MS on why I felt I was dismissed from jury duty.

PS-That kid that quick turned and dove into his car...He is dead if I am the officer.

I have absolutely no doubt that he would be dead if you were the cop, none whatsoever -probably because you wouldn't miss each shot as he did.

I believe in the police too, which is why I referred you to why I felt I was relieved of jury duty.

All I sought to do in this thread was challenge your statement that if you cooperate with the police and treat them kindly, they will treat you kindly in return - which is clearly not the case. These were only four videos of hundreds that can be viewed of these types of incidents. 

Let's settle this once and for all.

Do you agree with the protesters calls for Justice?

I don't and if you continue to provide the "evidence" to support the narrative I will continue to say NOPE.

The jackass that incited the police response (no pen incident) got what he wanted. THAT GUY IS YOU.

He doesn't want me on his jury...

I don't agree with the protestors at all.

FWIW, that pen guy is most definitely not me. I'm small in stature and have always avoided altercations with people because I wouldn't stand a chance. As a matter of fact, a few years ago I was stopped by a traffic cop and as he asked me to do things, I not only told him what I was going to do first, I asked his permission. When he asked for the registration, I replied with "the registration is in the glove compartment. Is it OK for me to get it for you?".

You always go on about constitutional rights and how they are being eroded, so let me ask you this. If you were stopped for what you believed was no good reason and the cop wanted to do something (such as a search) that you felt was totally unconstititional, would you succomb to his request or tell him that you know your rights and that you won't comply? Just curious.

As a kid many years ago my friends and I used to play "Cops and robbers". It appears that many cops now play "Cops and the rest of you"

Sadly America is not the only country facing this problem with police. Some years ago our national police the RCMP tasered a Polish traveller to death in the Vancouver BC airport. The victim was agitated after being in the airport for hours, unable to speak the language. When confronted he was armed with a desk stapler, wow a real public danger.

Clarence

As a kid many years ago my friends and I used to play "Cops and robbers". It appears that many cops now play "Cops and the rest of you"

Sadly America is not the only country facing this problem with police. Some years ago our national police the RCMP tasered a Polish traveller to death in the Vancouver BC airport. The victim was agitated after being in the airport for hours, unable to speak the language. When confronted he was armed with a desk stapler, wow a real public danger.

Clarence

Hear that Scott, he was "agitated" and came towards them with one of the most lethal weapons found inside the security area of an airport - a Swingline model 545 stapler.

I have to wonder how many of these police officers are hired after retiring from the military? After serving in various combat roles and are suffering from untreated PSTD. Another reward for stupid wars by stupid governments.

Clarence

EVERYONE IN THOSE VIDEO'S YOU POSTED EXCEPT FOR THE INDIVIDUAL WITH HIS HANDS ON THE TRUNK IN MINNESOTA HAD SOME DEGREE OF CULPABILITY IN THE RESPONSE.

The guy that didn't move fast enough for the Austin policeman was culpable? Are you serious? The cop was clearly - clearly - giving him a hard time from the moment he approached the window and was way out of line. The motorist even said on tape that he must have been having a bad day.

I researched this particular incident and found the following:

In a copy of an internal affairs interview redacted by police, O'Connor admitted to medical problems that suggest mental instability

"Maybe I did come across as abrupt," O'Connor said. "It's 1:10 in the afternoon and I have [redacted] so I hadn't eaten. And that is a problem when you get [redacted] is you're, it makes you kind of edgy."

All I can say is thank goodness we don't live in the United State of Scott.

• Like 1

Old news. So here is another tax cheat, dishonest just like Democrat Charlie Rangle, another New Yorker... Or the guy OBAMA appointed to head the Treasury Department. Timothy Geithner did almost this exact thing. Deliberately lied, misrepresented on his taxes, and he got no penalties, no interest charged, paid up his false return, and went to work for Obama.

So you STILL refuse to acknowledge the complete and thorough corrupt dishonest nature of the current administration, and the Democratic establishment ... instead of trying to deflect by admitting who and what Obama is by talking about what Nixon did, you throw this out. More of the same weak argument.

Anything but face the music.

You're sad.

I will acknowledge that this administration is as corrupt as every administration that came before it and will come after it.

Oops, silly me, I'm not allowed to mention previous administrations - sorry.

Have a safe and happy holiday.

I WOULD 100% STATE THAT I DO NOT SUBMIT TO A SEARCH OF MY VEHICLE. I WOULD TELL THEM THAT I WILL BE TAPING THE REMAINDER OF OUR CONTACT. I WOULD NOT TELL THEM "I KNOW MY RIGHTS". I WOULD STATE I DO NOT SUBMIT TO A SEARCH OF MY VEHICLE. I OBTAINED MY CONCEALED CARRY PERMIT SOLELY FOR THE FREEDOM TO TRANSPORT MY FIREARMS AND AMMUNITION TO AND FROM THE RANGE WITHOUT CONCERN FOR ILLEGAL WEAPON/AMMO IN VEHICLE. I RARELY EXERCISE MY RIGHT TO CARRY...EXCEPT FOR MOVIES. I ALWAYS CARRY IN A THEATRE.

I think you believe I was trying to bait you but that wasn't my intent. I wanted to see where you stand on the constitutionality of stops and how far the police can go because there are a lot of documented cases where those that stand up to the police and argue their constitutional rights are considered by the police as being combatant and very often get arrested, or worse. And many officers will take offense if you attempt to record the scene, only making it worse for you.

I'm with you on this and think that under the right circumstances I'd land up in jail for the night.

Happy holidays!

So many man hours...

What would be the reason for carrying a weapon in a theater, when you wouldn't normally carry one anywhere else?

Denver or Batman related?

Freedom of choice?

IMHO, every aspect of our lives is based on our individual choices. God blesses everyone with different gifts. In America we are blessed with the toughest choices of all when there are so many wide paths available.

I wish you all a Merry Christmas. I chose to do so in remembrance of Christ's birth. God Bless.

Oh yeah, Timmy too. -Mark

• Like 2

Freedom of choice? Surely God himself would be a bit miffed.

I think one of the Ten Commandments says "thou shalt not kill". What other purpose would a hand gun have?

Clarence

I WENT BACK AND VIEWED THAT VIDEO. THE FIRST VIDEO SAID GO TO YOUTUBE TO VIEW. I DIDN'T. AFTER REVIEWING THE VIDEO I WOULD NOT HAVE USED A TASER ON THE INDIVIDUAL STOPPED FOR GOING 5MPH OVER THE SPEED LIMIT AND MISSING A REAR PLATE. I DO NOT HAVE HIS TESTIMONY, BUT BASED ON WHAT I VIEWED ON THE DASH CAM THE RESPONSE WAS EXCESSIVE. THE OFFICER APPEARED, AS THE LADY SAID, TO BE HAVING A BAD DAY. I BELIEVE SHE LIKELY WAS ENRICHENED SIGNIFICANTLY BY THE CITY THAT HE WAS EMPLOYED IN.

ACTIONS HAVE CONSEQUENCES. PREJUDICE? MAYBE. I DON'T KNOW WHAT WAS/IS IN HIS HEART. I WOULD GUESS THAT SHE PREVAILED. I WELCOME DASH CAMS AND BODY CAMERA'S.

I welcome body cams too, but only if they are being work and turned on.  Batten down the hatches, here comes the next episode...

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/25/us/berkeley-missouri-police-shooting.html