Speed break

I don't know that I'd go that far, there are certainly times where they are very useful but If you've got them and you find yourself using them on each and every flight then you need to examine your flying style. You probably need to make a few adjustments.

You're right. I need to wait until I'm closer before deploying them. Stay high, stay fast, stay cool, drop like a brick. Weeeeeeee. :)

Earl, I would like to apologize to you and the rest of my MooneySpace brothers/sisters for how I've handled myself regarding this particulat topic.  It was un-called for on my part and a bit over the top, unprofressional even, regarding my verbiage.  I would like to say that since my Mooney does not have speed brakes, I really should not have anything to say about whether or not I would/should use them if I did have them.

My world at work needs to stay at work.  I should not and will not in the future allow my techniques for work creep into my comments on MooneySpace.  Yes, the rumble from my speed brakes at work scare my passengers to death and hence we don't use them unless absolutely forced too...no, I don't fly for an airline and when CEO xxx or actor xxx complains, everybody in my circles listen very carefully.  Speed brakes shouldn't and wouldn't affect my family in the Mooney because they would know what I was up to and would anticipate them.

Over the last day or so, since my jumping into this with both feet regretably, I have surmissed that there would be several times in a Mooney where I could definitely argue that boards would be helpful -- descending in turbulence, descending quickly thru a layer of icing (but like someone pointed out, watch out for them icing up and not retracting on you), ATC requests, etc.  Are they a tool?  Absolutely.  Would I pay to have them installed on my Mooney?  Probably not, but if they were already installed I'd probably "exercise them" from time to time.

Again, my apologies and please know that this MooneySpace forum is absolute gold -- best seen to date by far and it always reminds me of how lucky & proud I am to actually have Mooney keys in my pocket...very lucky indeed am I...

I humbly request that we soldier on.

No worries and your apology was above and beyond the call of duty. I think I overreacted to the tone because I really hate it on AOPA's forum where I actually have several prolific posters on ignore because they are so obnoxious. Just got me going out of fear that it was creeping into mooneyspace but I could have done it without my dripping sarcasm. I hate when that happens. I share your gratitude to be able to own a Mooney and I have to admit there are times when I want to pinch myself because I never thought I could own a plane. If you ever get to Atlanta let me know and I'll buy you lunch.

• Like 1

It's all about energy management and, IMHO, putting out "drag devices" is not an example of efficient flying.

Unless you found a way to convert energy back into avgas, your potential + kinetic energy was frittered away ENTIRELY by a combination of parasitic and induced drag.  Or do you have thrust reversers?

Last notch of flaps is well known to provide more drag than lift. That's the point. The landing "flare" is intended to get the wing into the high lift / high drag part of the envelope so you can... bleed off airspeed.

Eschewing speed brakes is just aerodynamic elitism.