Much higher oil pressure.

In cruise yesterday, my oil pressure indication started showing dangerously high pressures.   The indications were intermittent and there were no other indications of anything wrong with the engine.   This was the third flight of the day.    I chose to land somewhere closer that has a mechanic on the field rather than continuing the flight.   We discussed it and I changed the oil and cut open the old oil filter.   Everything looks normal.  There is no excess oil visible anywhere and there is no visible damage anywhere.  The plane is currently still there and I borrowed a car and drove home.

After talking with quite a few people, including the local A&P, my favorite MSC's chief mechanic, and the engine monitor manufacturer (Electronics International from Bend, OR) we think the problem is the old wiring connectors on the oil pressure transducer.    The A&P is going to take that bit of wiring out and replace the splices (EI is on their third generation of splice styles, and this one is the first style) and then we'll see if this 'problem' comes back.

Any other thoughts on what the problem might be and if I should be doing anything else to diagnose this issue before putting my life on the line and flying it again?

https://apps.savvyaviation.com/flights/shared/flight/8134230/c8927a32-1290-4cf6-ad78-46e06eef7703

Screenshot from 2024-05-07 06-56-00.png

I would do an oil change, check both the drained oil and filter for any debris. If clean I would probably just fly it home ignoring the high oil pressure warnings, but carefully checking the oil temperature for higher than normal temperatures.
And if you can get a new oil pressure sensor I would definitely replace it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, ArtVandelay said:

I would do an oil change, check both the drained oil and filter for any debris. If clean I would probably just fly it home ignoring the high oil pressure warnings, but carefully checking the oil temperature for higher than normal temperatures.
And if you can get a new oil pressure sensor I would definitely replace it.

Did the oil change.  Oil looks normal.

Replaced the oil filter and cut open the old one, it looks normal.   I pried many of the folds of the filter apart and there was no metal in them.  A few specs of carbon, but not much.

I'll consider replacing the transducer if just the wiring didn't fix the problem.  It's a PT-100GA model:  https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/inpages/pt100ga.php

PXL_20240506_220503379.jpg

Local A&P found that one of the wires for the oil pressure transducer was loose.  He replaced the connectors on all four wires with solder-filled connectors and heat shrink on top.   Not pictured, but the wires will get re-bundled back into a collection so they are not dangling out in the open.

The airport is closed today and tomorrow, so I'll drive down there Thursday morning and see how things look.

New connectors partially installed.jpeg

New Connectors fully installed.jpeg

Got the plane back yesterday.  I've done two flights since then and experienced no abnormal readings.   He also replaced the connections to the EGT and CHT for cylinder #2, which had been acting up as well and those temps went back to normal too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1