EI UBG-16 issue, repair or replacement

I feel like I know that the answer is $$$….but…figured I’d ask.  UBG-16 display has started to act funny, mainly when hot.  The main symptom is that the bars sequentially show full scale for about 1 second.  1, then the next, then the next…..  This will come and go through flight.   The corresponding readout does not change by much, but occasionally jumps by a lesser amount.  The display also occasionally flickers.  Engine runs fine….so seems like it is purely display issue.  Anybody see this before with any successful repair, other than upgrade?

If upgrade, are there any direct drop ins for the display only?  I’m not finding one, but figured I would ask.  Also, not finding any serviceable units on line, they seem hard to come by.  This UBG-16 was originally installed as a drop in replacement for a US-8A.  For the short term, I may simply re-install that, works well, but no bars. (I am in process of buying an analyzer for another project, so trying to spread the pain).  The least expensive, new, certified system seems north of $3k.

Hi Rob, it looks like not a lot of support here for the UBG-16 display.   Nothing comparable on eBay.  There are some US-8A's that have been listed for a long time.  You might consider making an offer on one of those if you see one that looks like will work.  Then again, I suppose your UBG-16 without bar graphs is more/less the same thing.

-Fred

• Like 1

I have an UBG 16 also that came with my plane when I bought it. It works OK but is finicky. They are at least 15 years old. If you were thinking of something that fits in the same 2.25" hole, an Insight G2 or G3 will fit and they have significantly more information in that small format. 

http://www.insightavionics.com/bestg2.htm

http://www.insightavionics.com/bestg3.htm

I'm replacing mine with something that will enable me to replace all the primary gauges. Possibly a JPI 900, Garmin GI 275 EIS or the EI CGR 30P with possibly their combo CGR30C

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 0TreeLemur said:

Hi Rob, it looks like not a lot of support here for the UBG-16 display.   Nothing comparable on eBay.  There are some US-8A's that have been listed for a long time.  You might consider making an offer on one of those if you see one that looks like will work.  Then again, I suppose your UBG-16 without bar graphs is more/less the same thing.

-Fred

Thanks Fred.  I have a US-8A I keep as a last resort.  It is actually quite nice, just takes more interpretation.  I ended up finding one locally…and have a line on a second one just in case.  Installed it today, in spite of numbing cold, will give it a try tomorrow.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Steve Dawson said:

I have an UBG 16 also that came with my plane when I bought it. It works OK but is finicky. They are at least 15 years old. If you were thinking of something that fits in the same 2.25" hole, an Insight G2 or G3 will fit and they have significantly more information in that small format. 

http://www.insightavionics.com/bestg2.htm

http://www.insightavionics.com/bestg3.htm

I'm replacing mine with something that will enable me to replace all the primary gauges. Possibly a JPI 900, Garmin GI 275 EIS or the EI CGR 30P with possibly their combo CGR30C

Thanks for the input.  Haven’t had too much trouble with it until now.  I’ve had to replace toggle switches to make it behave…likely need to do that on this replacement too.  My friend has the E3, but has had some problems with it.  I hope to do some major updates in a couple years, after I finish another project….so kind of limping by for now.  

On 1/13/2024 at 9:34 AM, takair said:

I feel like I know that the answer is $$$….but…figured I’d ask.  UBG-16 display has started to act funny, mainly when hot.  The main symptom is that the bars sequentially show full scale for about 1 second.  1, then the next, then the next…..  This will come and go through flight.   The corresponding readout does not change by much, but occasionally jumps by a lesser amount.  The display also occasionally flickers.  Engine runs fine….so seems like it is purely display issue.  Anybody see this before with any successful repair, other than upgrade?

If upgrade, are there any direct drop ins for the display only?  I’m not finding one, but figured I would ask.  Also, not finding any serviceable units on line, they seem hard to come by.  This UBG-16 was originally installed as a drop in replacement for a US-8A.  For the short term, I may simply re-install that, works well, but no bars. (I am in process of buying an analyzer for another project, so trying to spread the pain).  The least expensive, new, certified system seems north of $3k.

Check with @oregon87 about this. I messaged him recently about upgrading my UBG to the CGR-30p and they're offering a very attractive credit to do so. 

• Like 1

What do the numbers at the bottom (EGT on the left, CHT on the right) of the display indicate when the bars are indicating erratically?  It may be probe, connection or wiring related.  If you can take a video of the display in flight and send it to me at support@iflyei.com, I will be happy to take a look at it an offer an opinion.

Regarding an upgrade path, we are currently offering a $1500 trade-in rebate for those with UBG-16s currently, that wish to upgrade to our CGR-30P.  For example, if one were to upgrade to our CGR-30P Basic, utilizing the currently installed EGT/CHT probes and cables, the all in cost for the upgrade would be $1998.00.  Unfortunately, the UBG-16's plasma displays have become obsolete.  As such, we are no longer able to manufacture new or support old units.  Hence the reason for our current rebate offer.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, oregon87 said:

What do the numbers at the bottom (EGT on the left, CHT on the right) of the display indicate when the bars are indicating erratically?  It may be probe, connection or wiring related.  If you can take a video of the display in flight and send it to me at support@iflyei.com, I will be happy to take a look at it an offer an opinion.

Regarding an upgrade path, we are currently offering a $1500 trade-in rebate for those with UBG-16s currently, that wish to upgrade to our CGR-30P.  For example, if one were to upgrade to our CGR-30P Basic, utilizing the currently installed EGT/CHT probes and cables, the all in cost for the upgrade would be $1998.00.  Unfortunately, the UBG-16's plasma displays have become obsolete.  As such, we are no longer able to manufacture new or support old units.  Hence the reason for our current rebate offer.  

When the bars scroll up, the EGT and CHT numbers at the bottom remain stable.  It only seems to happen when the unit is warm.  I have never had good luck taking pictures or video of the display….let alone at the moment of failure…..any advice?

I found a used UBG-16 and installed it.  Corrected the issue, so I think all the thermocouples are good.  

That is a pretty good offer….will consider it for sure…..don’t know how long I have before the replacement acts up.  Any thoughts on how long the offer might be good?

No date yet as to when the offer will expire.  

If a replacement display solved the issue, that is fairly definitive proof that the issue is with the suspect display as there are no internal settings that would cause such behavior.  

Edited by oregon87
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, oregon87 said:

Was looking at the CGR-30P.  Seems to have some additional features that I did not realize. Regarding the trade in, I understand that I would use my existing CHT and EGT probes.  Would the new unit include RPM and MAP sensors?  Fuel flow?  Or would it simply do EGT and CHT as I have today?

22 hours ago, takair said:

Was looking at the CGR-30P.  Seems to have some additional features that I did not realize. Regarding the trade in, I understand that I would use my existing CHT and EGT probes.  Would the new unit include RPM and MAP sensors?  Fuel flow?  Or would it simply do EGT and CHT as I have today?

The CGR-30P Basic always includes RPM, EGT, CHT, fuel flow, OAT, volts and a few timers.  As such, manifiold pressure would not be included.  However, the UBG-16 can be traded in on a CGR-30P Premium at a discounted price of $2798.00.  The Premium version always included RPM, EGT and CHT.  At the time of order, up to five additional primary functions can be selected, as well as five non-primary functions.  Primary functions are defined as those that are required by the manufacturer and include limits/redlines.  A couple exceptions to this rule are a follow: 1. Manifold pressure is always primary on a naturally aspirated engine with a constant speed prop.  2. Each fuel tank occupies one primary screen location.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oregon87 said:

The CGR-30P Basic always includes RPM, EGT, CHT, fuel flow, OAT, volts and a few timers.  As such, manifiold pressure would not be included.  However, the UBG-16 can be traded in on a CGR-30P Premium at a discounted price of $2798.00.  The Premium version always included RPM, EGT and CHT.  At the time of order, up to five additional primary functions can be selected, as well as five non-primary functions.  Primary functions are defined as those that are required by the manufacturer and include limits/redlines.  A couple exceptions to this rule are a follow: 1. Manifold pressure is always primary on a naturally aspirated engine with a constant speed prop.  2. Each fuel tank occupies one primary screen location.

Thank you.  I’ve sent you an email for some further clarification for my situation.