Help choosing a Mooney to commute in Central/Western MT (Ovation/Bravo/Acclaim?)

dkkim73

8 hours ago, Alan Maurer said:

I cannot figure out why Mooney gives a hoot if anyone wants to upgrade it or what Mooney would have to do? 

Because the G1000 is so integrated to the airframe, it is part of the Type Certificate.  So you either need Mooney to amend the Type Certificate or do an STC to make any changes.

So if you have a G1000 aircraft, you cannot take it to the shop and have it replaced with a G500Txi or G3X based system, unless Mooney approves it or you spend a LOT of money pursuing an STC.

The G1000 will be around and supported for a long time. Too many aircraft, such as King Airs, Barons, Bpnanzas, Piper PA-46 series, Kodiaks etc have the system.

As to why Mooney would care, they get a cut of the action in an upgrade situation. The problem right now is they owe Garmin a lot of money, so getting new merchandise is problematic. 

Back to load.  Any of them are great for two people and reasonable stuff and fuel.

For me, if you have to travel in the West, turbocharging is close to mandatory and TKS is really nice.   Otherwise it sits home and you ride an airliner or drive a lot.  If it's pleasure travel and leaving 3 days early or getting home 4 days late is OK, than any of them will work and an Ovation would be expected to have lower cost of ownership.  The combination of mountains, MEAs, ice and lack of "outs" during portions of the flight make me want lots of buffer built in.  The climb rates at altitude that the turbo gives me provides a buffer.  Some goo on the wings slowing ice accumulation adds a buffer.  The hot prop adds a buffer.

Even with that, I spent an extra night in Libby in August due to the overcast height, freezing level, MEA and lack of a decent out for the first 30 minutes.  With a NA plane, I'd have spent another day.  Maybe more of a reflection on my risk tolerance than the capability of the equipment.

If I could afford one, I'd have an Bravo as I'd prefer a Lycoming.  Until then, the 262 conversion does the job, just at 25 kts slower.

Edited by geoffb
  • Like 1

On 9/22/2023 at 3:38 PM, dkkim73 said:

@wombat I have not done much detailed research into the earlier Mooneys, although I did check Controller recently to see if there were any TC/TN TKS birds posted. I would be open, I think :)  Certainly seems like a nice capable solution and it seems as if the people who have them like them a lot. Are you looking to part with yours? 

No, I'm not.  Having just flown a great IFR flight over the Cascades and getting ready to do it again 2 or 3 more times this week I'd only sell it if that paid for something more capable.

In my plane, weight is the most limiting factor; full fuel (and full TKS) useful load is 330#; I keep about 10# of 'emergency' supplies in the back (hatchet, fire extinguisher, emergency blanket, matches, etc) so since I weigh 160# that gives me 160# for my wife and luggage for both of us, which is adequate.  We both pack light.

I do have to be careful about fuel for the times it's going to be more than just me and her but on the bright side I burn 120# per hour, and most of my flights are about an hour each way, so as long as I know at least one 'trip' ahead that I'm going to carry another person or the pets it's very manageable.

I was expecting more of my flights to be solo but it seems that I'm flying with my wife a lot more than I had been in my 182

On 9/21/2023 at 6:11 PM, irishpilot said:

I'm one of the ones who went turbo back to NA. That being said, I live in AZ and only go into the high terrain a few times a year. I went experimental to keep the speed and still get the simplicity of NA. I plan for 175 kts, and usually see 180-182 ROP, 177 LOP.

However, for the OP's stated mission. Turbo is the way to go.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

You going to Sun River next week?

Tom