M20C panel upgrade?

6 hours ago, NJMac said:

I love my 440 / L3 in the stack. So glad I did the edm900 where it is too. Not sure a whole lot more extravagance than a setup like this can be justified in a short body. Talk with Josh and achievement aviation, Lakefield airport in st Mary's Ohio if you want to go the aspen / avidyne route. Killer pricing and great work. It would be worth the trip. 142cb4e123760730ed62f2cdf4829b1a.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Love this pic. Would love to see it on the "Avidyne Pilots Club" Facebook group.

• Like 2

I've just recommissioned my E with its GX60.  It's funny, it's the first plane I ever flew with a GPS and that little postage stamp screen told me so much more than I ever knew.  Adding a palm VII with cheap bastards black and white radar in cockpit was amazing.  Adding the 396 on the yoke was unbelievable.  Century 2000, etc.  I'll probably do the last GX 60 update end of 2020 before the data gets shut off and stretch it out until late 2021 by verifying with charts/plates.

Since I'll be stuck with ADS-B soon, I'm wondering if I really need to go hog wild.  In that snug little cabin with everything so close to your face, what about a L3 below a 440 in the stack, 2 screens telling you so much, and leave the rest of the legacy stuff intact, strikefinder, etc.  then replace AI/HSI on failure with an Aspen or G3.   Add an IPad Mini on the yoke and geez, how much does one need?  How big do the screens need to be when all the info is so close to the pilot's face in a Mooney?

• Like 1

That looks close to perfect.  If I go that route, I'll probably keep my vintage audio panel, put the 440 right below it, the L3 right below that, and move whatever legacy nav/coms I'm keeping below or over to the glove box below the century 2000.  I have a JPI 800 that I'll likely keep way over on the right, with the warning light right in front of me.

• Like 2

• 9 months later...