530W/430W or GNS480/430W or 430W/430 for 1977 M20J

autopatch

Hi!

I have a 1977 M20J, and as those of you with that model year know, there is a metal bar behind the panel in just the wrong place for some of today's advanced avionics.

I have a 430W, a GTX 330 and a Century 2000 autopilot which are rather long. That only leaves the top half of the panel open.

I don't think that there is sufficient room for both a 530W stacked on top of a 430W ...  I was wondering if anyone had any experience with a 480/430 combination so i could get the benefit of the larger screen.

I realize that the 480 has been discontinued by Garmin, but my thinking is that if the GNS 480 will fit when the 530 won't ....

I appreciate your thoughts.

I don't know anything about the space requirements of the 480, but I acquired one when I bought my J and I can tell you that I absolutely love it. I had a 430W in my Warrior and my primary trainer had a 430 so I am very familiar with how both operate, and now that I have a 480 I would hate to ever go back.

Yes, the operating logic is different so it takes some getting used to, but if you fly IFR in the system a lot using the FMS capabilities of the 480 is so much nicer. It's true, too, that the 480 doesn't have some of the same MFD functionality of the 430/530 series but if you've got the XM weather and/or traffic in your 430 then that shouldn't matter.

It doesn't bother me in the least that the product is discontinued. I see no endpoint for the data update from Jepp, and since they are done on a standard CompactFlash card instead of the specialized card for the 430/530 series there are no problems with readers.

The 480 is my favorite navigator. That said, I wouldn't mix it with a 530 or a 430 because the logic is so different. You might be able to use either one fine when things are going well but toss a few wrenches in the gears and having to know two sets of "GPS languages" might be quite a stumbling block. If you want two units, I'd get a 430/430 or 530/430. The 480/MX20 is a good combo until the single GPS quits. I had a 430 quit in a Cirrus one day - got my attention for sure. 

This is the same question I went through a few months ago.  Where I ended up was a G430W and a panel mounted Aero 560 with XM weather.  What this gave me was WAAS legal approach capability and better graphic capability for XM weather (more pixels and more colors than 430 or 530).  I had the avionics install a crossfill from my 430 to Aero so that I can view the graphical flight plan and the "numbers" from the G430 display.

Operationally, the 530 does not provide any additional capability, so it was hard for me to justify the addition $4k or $5k price tag.  For $2k, the Aero provides a good display, and when panel mounted is out of the way (i.e. not cables nor yoke clutter).

Good luck on your upgrade.

Greg

I'm sure this won't help because you indicate there is something specific to the 1977 "J" model that structurally prohibits certain avionics installations.  However, I thought I might at least show my panel arrangement.  I have a 1993 "J" model (MSE) with a 530/430 combination sitting below a Garmin 340 audio panel and above a KAP 150 autopilot.  When you have two Garmins they can be configured to cross-talk.  I have thoroughly enjoyed this arrangement.

post-1597-13468139113175_thumb.jpg

Quote: steelerp

There is a problem with the structure in the 77 Mooney.  Check out my pics or see this youtube clip

The radio guy had planned on installing at the top and working down.  He was unable to due to the structure.  So, he started at the bottom and worked up. 

Rick

Quote: sheetsg

This is the same question I went through a few months ago.  Where I ended up was a G430W and a panel mounted Aero 560 with XM weather.  What this gave me was WAAS legal approach capability and better graphic capability for XM weather (more pixels and more colors than 430 or 530).  I had the avionics install a crossfill from my 430 to Aero so that I can view the graphical flight plan and the "numbers" from the G430 display.

Operationally, the 530 does not provide any additional capability, so it was hard for me to justify the addition $4k or $5k price tag.  For $2k, the Aero provides a good display, and when panel mounted is out of the way (i.e. not cables nor yoke clutter).

Good luck on your upgrade.

Greg

Attached is a pic of the panel in my '77 J for another data point.  The previous owner installed the goodies except for the GTX-330ES that I did earlier this year, and the 496 on a glareshield RAM mount.  I did upgrade both GNS units to WAAS in 2007, though, and am very happy I did that!  There is an avionics cooling fan box mounted below my 530W behind the plain plastic "fill" panel.  Ideally it would be nice to have the 430W under the 530W, but it is not worth the effort (for me) to try to make that happen since I already have a functional panel.

IMO, having two GNS units is a bit of overkill, but they were there and I use both.  The 430W typically is used to show more of the numerical data fields instead of a map page.  If starting from scratch today, I would choose a 530W and a 496 (or perhaps similar) in a panel dock, along with an SL30 nav/com.  I have no experience with the 480, but it is sure popular with those that have them.  I'd be worried about future parts support/availability since it has been discontinued, and there are far fewer of those units in circuluation vs. the 430/530 line.

post-58-13468139131716_thumb.jpg