Powered Tow Bar

rblauson

On 12/30/2015 at 8:52 AM, PaulM said:

The sidewinder has an similar patterned knurled surface to the RoboTow

The problems were:

#1 That the wheel is driven, and on ice the wheel itself will have limited traction when pulling over obstacles (like the lip-seal of the hangar), it will just spin. 

#2 that the wheel picks up snow and then transfers this to the drive roller, given some slippage + friction heat the snow will melt and re-freeze on the drive roller removing all traction that that point.  

My Hangar might be different in having a 1" lip (water barrier) that you need to drive the front and then main wheels over.  with the north facing door the first 6' or so is icy/snowy since it doesn't get direct sun in the winter.   You can get the front wheel out.  and then when it needs traction to pull the mains over the lip you are on the ice zone. 

I bought one of these (a 36" long, 1/2" high aluminum ez access transition), cut it in thirds. When I am ready to put the airplane back in the hangar i place these in front of the lip and it makes it much easier with the robotow or anything else. You can also fins them in 1" as well.

http://hagersupply.com/?page=products&action=view&manufacturerID=61&productID=442S&linkID=7751&sku=442S-42-GLD&gclid=Cj0KEQiAno60BRDt89rAh7qt-4wBEiQASes2tV0OSNYL612a88AZ6cYKlmoGWVbJEPABffWdMfOvXwcaAjvO8P8HAQ

RAMP.png

Edited by LANCECASPER
  • Like 1