Virgin 747

I'm with bluevalley! 727 737 757 767 none of those limited my authority on the controls (and I could see what the right seater was doing with the controls). The only one that did was the POS Airbus. It's stability program also stinks. In smooth air it wallows down and ILS like a drunk sailor. I usually clicked it off and hand flew better that Auto.

The right side can't tell what the left side is doing and vice versa! Even Sully agrees here!

One has to go way back in history to figure out why the Airbus is the way it is. (those who forget history are bound to repeat it!) The initial Airbus design was for ab initio flight training by 3rd world countries for the state airline. They wanted and airplane that they could take a 300 or 400 hr wonder and put him in the right seat and the airplane would not let him do anything stupid like roll 90 degrees or pitch 35 degrees. That's how we got the POS Airbus! Normal law will not allow the airplane to stall. It goes to the "eyebrow" (a marker on the horizon in pitch) and it will go no further up to stall. Stall protection in NORMAL law on the a/c control system. In ALT law there is stall warning but no protection. That is what the Airbus over the Atlantic was in when they stalled it from 35000 feet all the way to the water. The wiz kid in the right seat flying couldn't realize that the airplane was stalled (IT CAN'T STALL EVEN WITH TH ESTICK ALL THE WAY BACK was the way he was taught!) and the left seater couldn't tell what the right seater was doing with his stick, NO FEEDBACK from side to side. The bottom level law was DIRECT law and what the stick did the airplane did. It's been a lot of years but that's how I remember it.

I guess you can tel my feelings on the matter Rant over for now :-)

I'm with bluevalley! 727 737 757 767 none of those limited my authority on the controls (and I could see what the right seater was doing with the controls). The only one that did was the POS Airbus. It's stability program also stinks. In smooth air it wallows down and ILS like a drunk sailor. I usually clicked it off and hand flew better that Auto.

The right side can't tell what the left side is doing and vice versa! Even Sully agrees here!

One has to go way back in history to figure out why the Airbus is the way it is. (those who forget history are bound to repeat it!) The initial Airbus design was for ab initio flight training by 3rd world countries for the state airline. They wanted and airplane that they could take a 300 or 400 hr wonder and put him in the right seat and the airplane would not let him do anything stupid like roll 90 degrees or pitch 35 degrees. That's how we got the POS Airbus! Normal law will not allow the airplane to stall. It goes to the "eyebrow" (a marker on the horizon in pitch) and it will go no further up to stall. Stall protection in NORMAL law on the a/c control system. In ALT law there is stall warning but no protection. That is what the Airbus over the Atlantic was in when they stalled it from 35000 feet all the way to the water. The wiz kid in the right seat flying couldn't realize that the airplane was stalled (IT CAN'T STALL EVEN WITH TH ESTICK ALL THE WAY BACK was the way he was taught!) and the left seater couldn't tell what the right seater was doing with his stick, NO FEEDBACK from side to side. The bottom level law was DIRECT law and what the stick did the airplane did. It's been a lot of years but that's how I remember it.

I guess you can tel my feelings on the matter Rant over for now :-)

It will be interesting to see what role Airbus automation had, if any, in the Air Asia incident.

I'm with bluevalley! 727 737 757 767 none of those limited my authority on the controls (and I could see what the right seater was doing with the controls). The only one that did was the POS Airbus. It's stability program also stinks. In smooth air it wallows down and ILS like a drunk sailor. I usually clicked it off and hand flew better that Auto.The right side can't tell what the left side is doing and vice versa! Even Sully agrees here!One has to go way back in history to figure out why the Airbus is the way it is. (those who forget history are bound to repeat it!) The initial Airbus design was for ab initio flight training by 3rd world countries for the state airline. They wanted and airplane that they could take a 300 or 400 hr wonder and put him in the right seat and the airplane would not let him do anything stupid like roll 90 degrees or pitch 35 degrees. That's how we got the POS Airbus! Normal law will not allow the airplane to stall. It goes to the "eyebrow" (a marker on the horizon in pitch) and it will go no further up to stall. Stall protection in NORMAL law on the a/c control system. In ALT law there is stall warning but no protection. That is what the Airbus over the Atlantic was in when they stalled it from 35000 feet all the way to the water. The wiz kid in the right seat flying couldn't realize that the airplane was stalled (IT CAN'T STALL EVEN WITH TH ESTICK ALL THE WAY BACK was the way he was taught!) and the left seater couldn't tell what the right seater was doing with his stick, NO FEEDBACK from side to side. The bottom level law was DIRECT law and what the stick did the airplane did. It's been a lot of years but that's how I remember it.I guess you can tel my feelings on the matter Rant over for now :-)

No argument from me on any of those counts, Cliffy. But I'm also not going to change companies to go be at the bottom of a seniority list just so I can be on the 737.

As I said earlier:

I'm okay with the Airbus. At this point in my career, I care more about my schedule, pay rate, and comfort.