Mooney Spinner? Part Number(s)?

Kevin

I have a customer who has an M20F modified to an M20J (his words, not mine - I expect he has the "J" cowl mod.)

He needs a new spinner, and claims the part number for the spinner bulkhead is 630031-029 and the dome is part number for the spinner bulkhead is 680031-019.

My problem is that the TCDS for the "J" shows a P/N of 680031-507 for the spinner assembly, which is the spinner bulkhead, dome, screws, etc. Does anyone here know if the spinner assembly 680031-507 consists of 630031-029 & 680031-019?

If your customer has a two blade Hartzell prop with a J model spinner and a cracked bulkhead that bolts to the flywheel tell them to lube up. It's no longer available and the NOS/used market is completely depleted. Hartzell sells a replacement assembly that bolts directly to the hub instead of the flywheel for around $2500. I looked for about 9 months before I found a used bulkhead and, given the aggravation and costs associated with all of the repaired bulkheads, it would have been cheaper if I had just bought the new assembly from Hartzell to begin with. 

Thanks for your help. I suspect he actually has a Hartzell spinner, but I need to confirm that with him. The parts book was very helpful. Thanks a lot!

My understanding is this, if it is a Hartzell two blad propellor: Hartzell produces their own spinner assembly, but if the spinner is more than a few years old, it's likely the "Mooney" part, which is produced by Globe. The Hartzell bulkhead attaches to the propellor hub. The Mooney bulkhead attaches to the flywheel and also should have a set of doublers on the bolts that hold it to the flywheel (I think it's a airworthiness directive). Those doublers are little plates that have two bolts through each one to distribute the torque from the bolts through the flywheel. 

About 15 months ago, when I needed to source the bulkhead, rumor had it that the bulkheads may have been on the shelf at Globe, but due to Mooney being out of operation, you couldn't get them. This may be different now, and I would recommend calling Mooney to see if they can find anything. The last time I called them looking, after they'd been acquired, a guy found a NOS McCauley assembly and I think it was in the neighborhood of $2,000-3,000. 

If a replacement spinner is $3,000 and no used parts can be found it might make sense to look at the Top Prop kit since it comes with a new spinner.  After adding the cost of the new spinner to the used market value of you prop, its only going to cost a few more thousand more to get a new prop and spinner.