OP ED-"Little Timmy Wants to Know Why Nobody Likes Airplanes Anymore?

And then understand that 50% of Ferguson's revenues come from court fees, based on manufactured charges. How is that for poor/minority people not paying their fair share. Most of them pay a lot more percentage wise than us, middle and upper class folks. This is one area that we can maybe agree on, the federal government militarizing our police force.

50% is low......why don't you put a crow bar in your wallet Astelmaszek (maybe TBM proceeds)...a donate a few $100k's to Ferguson, so they could buy speed cameras and increase their city revenue to the levels we enjoy here in socially engineered Maryland.....around 80%? Militarizing our police force??? Really? Regurgitated drool from Huff, Koz and Beast......delusional. A quick study like you can do better than that, right? How's that grand jury coming in that horrific police-state, St Louis? Thank God this didn't happen in February, I doubt the good people of Fergie would have had the motivation to don their hats and mittens.

How the F$$ck did Ferguson wonder into this thread? Are you kidding? How about a "ham sandwich"??

post-7931-0-81349900-1408990669_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Scott, you got it all exactly right.

I got my private license in 1967, owned a 62 Mooney B model with a friend for 12 years. We payed $7500 for it in 1969.

I bought a 1965C Mooney in 1983 for $18000 put all the mods on it and flew it till 1994. I checked and It is still flying out in Arizona.

We had real freedom back then, the FAA actually promoted aviation and I always wondered why nobody bothered us.

Then the gift of 911 happened for the US dictators, and instead of treating us with respect they started treating American citizens like criminals.

Remember when the Chicago mayor Daley and his gang of terrorists destroyed Meigs field and nobody went to jail, just like the Wall Street thieves.

I am now 74 and still in good shape, have been renting for a long time, but I sure miss flying a Mooney.

My wife and I have been looking for an older Mooney for our last hurrah but can't really trust the government and the Wall Street manipulators, sooooooooooooooo?

• Like 1

Then the gift of 911 happened for the US dictators, and instead of treating us with respect they started treating American citizens like criminals.

Remember when the Chicago mayor Daley and his gang of terrorists destroyed Meigs field and nobody went to jail, just like the Wall Street thieves.

This has been the subject of a few discussions here, and naturally I've taken the position that other than some roaming TSA's here and there, nothing has really changed in GA post 9/11. I'd be curious to get your view on the subject.

You were spot-on with the Meig's incident.

This has been the subject of a few discussions here, and naturally I've taken the position that other than some roaming TSA's here and there, nothing has really changed in GA post 9/11. I'd be curious to get your view on the subject.

DC SFRA.  eAPIS

DC SFRA.  eAPIS

DC is a valid concern, but it doesn't affect the greater of American GA. I remember flying into DCA the day before the Air Florida crash and taken aback by how simple it was and that I was just another one of the boys, in a sea of DC-9's, 727's and 737's.

eAPIS is a pain, but that's all it is. I've used it many times to return from the Bahamas, but like DC, it only affects a minute population of the general aviation community. The website has improved to the point where it's actually easy to get on, enter the information and submit it. I'm down to less than eight minutes and if my fingers worked quicker, I could probably cut it down to less than five. 

The point in my posting was that as bad as 9/11 was, GA hasn't really been affected much by it. 

That is awesome! Glad to hear this. WANT to be wrong...

While sitting around and using all of the muscle power that their little thumbs can muster using their gaming console all day long, cost has got to be a major hurdle for not taking up flying.

I was just looking at an outfit called OpenAirplane, which is yet another attempt at a universal rental program for pilots. Looking at the costs to rent a 25 year old 172 appears to be around $160 an hour on average around the country and saw an Arrow for $200. That's absolutely insane and I wish I knew how they justify that. At 9 gallons per hour at $6.00 per that's a little over $50 an hour for fuel. And to add insult to injury they require your own renters insurance and a once yearly checkout which they say is as tough as the PTS itself. The pilot also needs to sit down with the participating FBO and get a detailed briefing on local procedures, which is totally bogus. If we all needed to be briefed on the local environment when flying out of an unfamiliar airport, we'd never go anywhere.

http://pilots.openairplane.com/

A CFII Friend of mine has been renting his C150 dry for $35hr for the last 7 or 8 years.  He has an autofuel fuel tank you can pay him to fill it up from if you wish, so you are looking at around $50 wet.  He has told me a couple of times it is break even at that price and he get free use of the plane himself. 

A CFII Friend of mine has been renting his C150 dry for $35hr for the last 7 or 8 years.  He has an autofuel fuel tank you can pay him to fill it up from if you wish, so you are looking at around $50 wet.  He has told me a couple of times it is break even at that price and he get free use of the plane himself. 

I saw some pretty ratty 152's on the site that are renting for $130 a freaking hour!

I think it has a lot to do with location.  The person I mentioned above is a C130 pilot in his day job and he isn't trying to make a living renting planes and instructing.  We are in a small rural area and he usually keeps 2 or 3 students. The plane is also based out of a grass strip at his house so he has little overhead.   By comparison a C150 usually rents for around $95, a C172 $115 and a retractable Arrow is $140 at a nearby airport.

I've looked at renting planes before when I've flown somewhere interesting on a commercial flight and just want to go fly around some in that local area.  I have always came to the conclusion that it isn't worth it because of the insurance requirement, checkouts and rental rates/contracts.

I think it has a lot to do with location.  The person I mentioned above is a C130 pilot in his day job and he isn't trying to make a living renting planes and instructing.  We are in a small rural area and he usually keeps 2 or 3 students. The plane is also based out of a grass strip at his house so he has little overhead.   By comparison a C150 usually rents for around $95, a C172 $115 and a retractable Arrow is $140 at a nearby airport.

I've looked at renting planes before when I've flown somewhere interesting on a commercial flight and just want to go fly around some in that local area.  I have always came to the conclusion that it isn't worth it because of the insurance requirement, checkouts and rental rates/contracts.

I guess the "crime" in all this is that I can walk up to a Hertz counter and rent a $50k car for $75 for an entire day.

• Like 1

I have always came to the conclusion that it isn't worth it because of the insurance requirement, checkouts and rental rates/contracts.

What a different life some of us would lead if they were not able to suck money out of the rest us via the insurance racket.  I wonder what other "skills" they would have to earn a living, and what kind of living that would be.  I wonder if they might be humbled.

And how much more money Timmy would have to spend on everything else if not paying for the existence of said insurance lackeys.

What a different life some of us would lead if they were not able to suck money out of the rest us via the insurance racket.  I wonder what other "skills" they would have to earn a living, and what kind of living that would be.  I wonder if they might be humbled.

And how much more money Timmy would have to spend on everything else if not paying for the existence of said insurance lackeys.

You'll get no arguments from me. All told, I write checks with the words "Insurance Company" on them to the tune of around $45k a year. When I visit clients in the midwest they are simply incredulous and don't believe me. Then I start rattling off where all that money goes, starting with homeowners (South Florida) of $6k a year, 4 cars (two teens) $8k, health coverage $15k, plus plus plus plus...

I guess the "crime" in all this is that I can walk up to a Hertz counter and rent a $50k car for $75 for an entire day.

Remember when flying (flies) used to be one of those F's that were cheaper to rent?

That was a lot of choices!

-a-

Those were the days.

What's sad about the list is that I did some searches on the planes that I flew back then and most were lost, some with fatalities. Even the Mooney listed is no longer with us.

The social contract theory underpinning the concept of insurance is indeed sound. Where insurance becomes a racket is when the insurance "system" begins to defy social contract theory and/or perfect market theory. Those in the insurance-complex personally benefit by skimming from both the insured and the end-resolvers (e.g. mechanics, contractors, physicians) who actually do something beneficial for society other than inventing arguments to justify their existence (e.g. insurance lackeys, trial lawyers, etc).

I would too be angry if I was suffering from the cognitive dissonance of wanting to be a conservative, wanting to hate people (which is by no means synonymous with conservatism but is demonstrated by CINO's for the past 30 years), all while I was sucking on the NGO legally justified tit of my fellow American. It might be 100 times worse if I was a narcissist.

Ask someone that emerges from their basement through darkness and debris to find their house destroyed what they think of blood sucking insurance carriers...

Just make sure you include the folks in New Orleans:  The ones who heard "Denial of Benefits"  Oh your roof blew off.  Sorry your policy does not cover flood damage from the rain.   Or the ones who only had part of their looses covered because they took action to protect their property before an adjuster could visit.  When you are done with them, ask the victims of Hurricane Sandy. 

Just make sure you include the folks in New Orleans:  The ones who heard "Denial of Benefits"  Oh your roof blew off.  Sorry your policy does not cover flood damage from the rain.   Or the ones who only had part of their looses covered because they took action to protect their property before an adjuster could visit.  When you are done with them, ask the victims of Hurricane Sandy. 

I was going to mention this one but you beat me to it. Overall carriers make good on their policies but there are times when they do try to weasel out.

"Big government" proponents argue that bigger government is needed because of the consequences of the relative few that abuse their rights. This conservative prefers one inefficient money sucking goon squad to two (zero would be better but there will always be the free riders and sociopaths amongst us that need oversight and encouragement to do the right thing).

Sucks to be on the wrong side of history, but you can't justify your "conservative" earned income based on the same argument as big government proponents.