Mounting the Garmin 796

Suction-cup mount from center of the glass was the only place that worked for me. I have a JPI830 mounted on my panel in front of my pilots yoke so no joy there trying to use the yoke mount for the GPS. The glass mount slightly blocks a direct line of sight for fuel level, but since the 830 is installed I have a slight back-up and use it for basic reference. I still leanover very, very often to double and triple check the OEM fuel levels. I've spent hours in the plane while parked in the hanger looking for "just the right spot". I don't know if there is one in such a tight ship. I'll post pics of my panel update soon.  

THAT is a badass Panel, Oscar.  How is the CHT problem working out?

Hey Byron,

Yes, thank you! That is the advantage of living abroad where the work is extremely detail oriented.

Regarding the CHTs, I discovered that the cowl flaps of my mooney were closed (m20C with fixed cowl flaps), so I opened them and that helped. I also changed the climb profile to 120 mph, which helped bring down the temperature a little bit more. Finally, I plan on changing the spark plugs from REM 39 to REM 37. That should even help and keep all chts under 400. But thanks for asking.

I used an Air Gizmo mount installed in the panel for my 796. The Air Gizmo mount is designed to be the same size as their 696 mount which makes installation easier if you already had a 686 mounted in their unit.  But, while it has its good points, it is also is wider than really necessary. 

post-7730-0-97313400-1358207031_thumb.jp

• Like 3