Calgary to Scottsdale

We left Calgary on Friday the 13th at 4 pm after the snow plow cleared out the front of the hangar.  Eapis and paperwork was all filed.  We poked through the Rockies into the Elk Valley by Elkford, then into the Columbia Valley at Creston, BC.  We were bang on our estimated border crossing time and 7 minutes late into KGEG, Spokane, to clear customs.  I understand there is a 15 minute window for customs.  

No problems at the border, still a couple of hours of daylight, so we filed vfr to Boise.  Unfortunately, due to a lowering ceiling and darkness, we came up 60 miles short at Council, Idaho, U82.  No cell phone service at the airport, no people or terminal at the airport, just a few coyotes.  I had a bugger of a time getting sat phone connection, but eventually it came on line.  If you have never been to Council and the Starlite Motel, I would recommend it for your bucket list.  

Saturday morning, into Boise on a clear day for breakfast and fuel, and to plan our next leg to North Las Vegas, KVGT.  I will spare the details, but a 450 nm leg turned into 4.7 hours in the air, despite 175+ knot ground speeds.  Low ceilings, ridges, Restricted airspace, really turned the leg into an exercise in navigation.  My copilot and co-owner did a fantastic job of working the radios and charts and Foreflight (which we are 1000% sold on) and keeping us out of a jam.  We landed with 10+ gallons, which was a 0.8 gallon difference on our FS450.  For those of you who want to comment on using a fuel flow monitor for fuel consumption, I routinely fly 500+ nm legs and find it to be very accurate.  

Our final leg plan was from KVGT to Needles to KSDL.  Las Vegas airspace is quite complex, and having Colin work the radios was fantastic, especially after almost all day in the saddle.  The remainder of the flight was very smooth and uneventful, and landed at Scottsdale just before dark.  

The scenery was outstanding, the experience immeasurable.  ATC was very professional and accommodating.  We have a Spot that kept our friends and family informed of our progress, so they didn't worry.  

10.9 hours in the air total.  Alberta, British Columbia, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California, Arizona, all in 24 hours.  CFPXG performed flawlessly.   Our return route will likely be easterly, through Denver, spend the night with my sister at Aurora, KAPA, and finish up on Saturday.  Depending on routing, that will be pretty close to 1500 nm.  Great experience!

Awesome trip, great story.  I learned to fly in Vegas at VGT, and it can be tricky. I actually back track a little and go up through to grapevine of California when I fly back to Seattle, so I don't have to deal with all that.  I assume they still have all the moth balled jets at Kingman.

I agree with you about foreflight, we did a Seattle Boston trip last year, and it was invaluable. Glad all went well.

Quote: dsimes

We left Calgary on Friday the 13th at 4 pm after the snow plow cleared out the front of the hangar.  Eapis and paperwork was all filed.  We poked through the Rockies into the Elk Valley by Elkford, then into the Columbia Valley at Creston, BC.  We were bang on our estimated border crossing time and 7 minutes late into KGEG, Spokane, to clear customs.  I understand there is a 15 minute window for customs.  

Quote: dsimes

No problems at the border, still a couple of hours of daylight, so we filed vfr to Boise.  Unfortunately, due to a lowering ceiling and darkness, we came up 60 miles short at Council, Idaho, U82.  No cell phone service at the airport, no people or terminal at the airport, just a few coyotes.  I had a bugger of a time getting sat phone connection, but eventually it came on line.  If you have never been to Council and the Starlite Motel, I would recommend it for your bucket list.  

Saturday morning, into Boise on a clear day for breakfast and fuel, and to plan our next leg to North Las Vegas, KVGT.  I will spare the details, but a 450 nm leg turned into 4.7 hours in the air, despite 175+ knot ground speeds.  Low ceilings, ridges, Restricted airspace, really turned the leg into an exercise in navigation.  My copilot and co-owner did a fantastic job of working the radios and charts and Foreflight (which we are 1000% sold on) and keeping us out of a jam.  We landed with 10+ gallons, which was a 0.8 gallon difference on our FS450.  For those of you who want to comment on using a fuel flow monitor for fuel consumption, I routinely fly 500+ nm legs and find it to be very accurate.  

Our final leg plan was from KVGT to Needles to KSDL.  Las Vegas airspace is quite complex, and having Colin work the radios was fantastic, especially after almost all day in the saddle.  The remainder of the flight was very smooth and uneventful, and landed at Scottsdale just before dark.  

The scenery was outstanding, the experience immeasurable.  ATC was very professional and accommodating.  We have a Spot that kept our friends and family informed of our progress, so they didn't worry.  

10.9 hours in the air total.  Alberta, British Columbia, Washington, Idaho, Nevada, California, Arizona, all in 24 hours.  CFPXG performed flawlessly.   Our return route will likely be easterly, through Denver, spend the night with my sister at Aurora, KAPA, and finish up on Saturday.  Depending on routing, that will be pretty close to 1500 nm.  Great experience!

Re:  15 minute window with border and Customs.  It's a 30 minute window...15 on either side, but don't worry about it, as you can update in the air.  In fact, ATC (Seattle Ctr?) prompted us a few times if we wanted to update our arrival time.  They are real pros.  

Re:  trapped in Calgary till 4 am.  Don't feel bad.  I've been trapped there for 8 years.  Really though...we were loaded up pretty close to gross so we wouldn't have been able to help.  Unless you are an 80 pound double amputee.  ; - )

Re: Las Vegas airspace.  Do not call centre to activate your flight plan until you are well clear of the field, despite the fact that you may have at least 2 radios and a copilot capable of working all of them.  It's still biiizzzzyyy.  

Cheers all and we are really looking forward to putting the compass on N and following it.  Golf, DBacks, sunshine will have to wait until next time.  

Additional note on border crossing and arrival at customs.  It would make sense to plan a leg stop near the border, say within 100 miles or so.  Take a break, double check your eApis and passports, relax and refile as needed.  If you plan to be at destination 15 minutes early, you are still within the window with 30 minutes to spare.  Again, you can amend in the air. 

Finally, I do not think you will go to jail if you are on final and getting close to your filed window.  

Scottsdale to Calgary, Saturday, April 21,2012.  Departed SDL at 7 am to OGDEN (N of Salt Lake City), 3.9 hours, severe clear, very smooth.  OGDEN to Great Falls Montana, KGTF, 2.9 hours at 12,500 with O2, moderate turb due to daytime heating and ridges.  KGTF to Springbank (CYBW), 2.0 hours, flat, smooth.  Landed just after sunset.  Customs, phone call and cleared.

Total time in air, round trip, 19.8 hours, 2,662 nm.  Experience, PRICELESS!

Bucket list, check.  Ya baby.