Prop Governor

7 hours ago, Alan Maurer said:

Hello Mooney People, Who can tell me what actually gets done with the prop gov to switch 2500 to 2700 max RPM in the Ovation?

Thanks

Alan

It’s just an adjustment made by backing the screw out. You will get approximately 200 additional RPM FOR EVERY 360° revolution of the screw, assuming that the governor is controlling your max / takeoff RPM. But, the propeller governor should NOT be what’s controlling your maximum RPM at take off. If your low pitch stop is set correctly then WOT you will make just under full RPM. Then as you start your roll down the runway the RPM will come to the 2700. When the pitch stop is properly set the adjustment screw will be just barely touching, but not regulating the RPM at WOT, take off power setting.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alan Maurer said:

Hello Mooney People, Who can tell me what actually gets done with the prop gov to switch 2500 to 2700 max RPM in the Ovation?

Thanks

Alan

The overhauler does what they call a C290D3 T20 upgrade which changes out the spring in the prop governor, which allows it to go to 2700rpm. It may be a good time to do an IRAN on the governor to look for any other items to replace while it is opened up. I had one done in November 2014 on an Ovation. Back then the shop charged me around $900.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

The overhauler does what they call a C290D3 T20 upgrade which changes out the spring in the prop governor, which allows it to go to 2700rpm. It may be a good time to do an IRAN on the governor to look for any other items to replace while it is opened up. I had one done in November 2014 on an Ovation. Back then the shop charged me around $900.

I guess I totally missed what his question was! 

Thanks to Frank B and Lancecasper  for these answers. Sounds like the answer to crank the prop gov for 310 hp is either a screw adjustment or

changing the spring inside the Governor. Whichever it is, Sarasota Avionics bought the STC from Mooney and is planning to do the work and paperwork on Monday

Aug 28 . I have been curious to know exactly what work has to be done to accomplish this and if it is actually difficult.

I plan to hang out there on Monday and then, of course, there is always the test flight:)

Thanks Guys

Alan

N913ND

3 hours ago, Alan Maurer said:

Thanks to Frank B and Lancecasper  for these answers. Sounds like the answer to crank the prop gov for 310 hp is either a screw adjustment or

changing the spring inside the Governor. Whichever it is, Sarasota Avionics bought the STC from Mooney and is planning to do the work and paperwork on Monday

Aug 28 . I have been curious to know exactly what work has to be done to accomplish this and if it is actually difficult.

I plan to hang out there on Monday and then, of course, there is always the test flight:)

Thanks Guys

Alan

N913ND

The vast majority of the questions asked on here I don't know the answer to. On this one I do. I've done the 310hp STC on an Ovation.

It's not a screw adjustment. It's the C290D3 T20 upgrade which changes out the spring in the prop governor, which allows it to go to 2700 rpm. I enjoy @Frank B.'s comments but he flies a Bonanza :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 8/23/2023 at 3:11 PM, LANCECASPER said:

The vast majority of the questions asked on here I don't know the answer to. On this one I do. I've done the 310hp STC on an Ovation.

It's not a screw adjustment. It's the C290D3 T20 upgrade which changes out the spring in the prop governor, which allows it to go to 2700 rpm. I enjoy @Frank B.'s comments but he flies a Bonanza :) 

But how many Mooneys has Frank B. Owned and flown in the past. I still love a Mooney. You should see the M20J project we have going on in my hangar right now. It’s no longer mine, but belongs to another member here. Post some photos Dustin Payne.

• Like 1