Alternate to IPAD for Electronic Flight Bag (EFB)

DrBill

Dr bill, 

Looks like you may have found a lower cost alternative to the venerable iPad.

Let me know if you can really make use of the scratch pad.  That will be my next step in paperless cockpit.

WingX has this feature also, but like your picture shows, big words, not enough space, the stylus does not make a tight enough simulation to real paper either.

best regards,

-a-

I use WingX for all charts, plates, weather, etc. I also have a POH and miscelaneous avionics/instruments manuals in PDF format on the iPad. All VERY handy!

I tried to make the scratchpad in WingX work as well as NuNotes but in the end I went back to a pad of paper and pen. I don't find a tablet a good input device and trying to corect a mistake while copying a clearance is neither easy, clean or timely. Just my $0.02

Dave,

I have started using notes plus taking notes at work.  Mostly typing subtly while in meetings.  It has the ability to draw free hand too. 

Your observations are dead on.  Write and correct in a timely manner.

I am still impressed with people that can memorize the name and frequency of the next ATC contact.

I have to write it down, OR parrot it back instantly.  Can't do both reliably.  Write, parrot, then make change.  I do a solid page of writing in a few hours of flying.

Best regards,

-a-

I like the size, and the external storage.  A little limited by a slower processor and decent but not great battery life. Also internal storage is very low.  

But that having been said as long as it can run your software, and perform the mission that you want, then it is all good.  I really want to try a devise of this size, because I could yoke mount it.  The price is certianly right. 

I assume since it has bluetooth you can use an external GPS.  May be worth a shot.

Thanx for the info.

Quote: eldeano

I like the size, and the external storage.  A little limited by a slower processor and decent but not great battery life. Also internal storage is very low.  

But that having been said as long as it can run your software, and perform the mission that you want, then it is all good.  I really want to try a devise of this size, because I could yoke mount it.  The price is certianly right. 

I assume since it has bluetooth you can use an external GPS.  May be worth a shot.

Thanx for the info.

Does the application have geo-referenced approach plates?  Does it do fuel prices and fuel stops? Does it have performance at various altitudes?

I currently use Seattle Avionics Voyager as my EFB and my subscription ends 12/31/11.  A great product but twice the cost of all the other comparable subscriptions.  For the $300 subscription this year, I could buy your whole system.

No geo ref approach plates in this version.  I suspect it's coming.  I don't have enough experience with it but I don't think it does fuel prices nor performance.

I was looking for an electronic chart.  It does display my POH (PDF I MADE) nicely.

You can check out the features at www.navigatorapp.com.

Here's a link to the users guide:

http://www.naviatorapp.com/help/naviatorusermanual.pdf

Regarding WING X..  From their website.   Approach charts yes, plus other features like AFD, Route planning and more. Good chart here:

http://www.hiltonsoftware.com/PlatformFeatures.pdf

Note: WingX for Android currently does not include Sectionals, IFR Enroute charts, or the Moving Map. We're working on adding these features.