Measurement

Hello all.  Still looking for the perfect F model ('67,  original as possible).  

Meanwhile I've been collecting Mooney owner stuff.  I'm turning a wood stand to hold a 12oz Gatt fuel sampler very close under the center fuel selector drain.  I was wondering the measurement -- ground to drain hole(?)  No Mooneys live near here for me to measure.  Thanks in advance.

macanimal

1) It’s a question I never heard before...

2) It’s a brilliant idea...

3) Somebody has a quick answer for it... Go Culver!

4) For asking such a brilliant question, getting a great answer, and posting a pic when finished...

Allow me to point you in the direction of a really nice F for sale around here...

Have you seen this one...  Stephen is an awesome MSer, who has fallen into some hard work... that seems to occupy all of his free time...  :)

PP thoughts only, not a plane sales guy... I did have dinner with Stephen once... with a bunch of MSers... :)

Go MS!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carusoam said:

1) It’s a question I never heard before...

2) It’s a brilliant idea...

3) Somebody has a quick answer for it... Go Culver!

4) For asking such a brilliant question, getting a great answer, and posting a pic when finished...

Brilliant! Yes, brilliant, I say!! And please post a picture, the stand with and without the fuel cup. This here woodturner is curios now . . . . My Delta 4214 should handle that size nicely, with a separately-turned crossgrain base.

• Haha 1

Thank-you Culver LFA for your prompt reply!!  

Hank, right now I have a 3 foot pine log on my lathe which I turned from 12' to 6" diameter (lotsa chips!!).  It's totally spalted (rotted) so I'll submerge it in dyed epoxy & throw it in a pressure pot.  Now that I have the height dimension, I can turn it to allow about an inch or so clearance under the drain.  I'll also turn a recess into the top of the stand to keep the Gatt from blowing away in the wind.  It may be awhile as I still have no plane, but I'll post a pic when it's done.  

Carusoam, not sure how bril.  I thought of the idea when testy airport bureaucrats caught a Mooney peeing on their freshly resurfaced tarmac.  Actually, a stand could help with the 1st preflight of the day.  

Thank-you for your friend's "F" ad, but I'm looking for an "original as possible" 67 F.  Hard to find.

Thanks, again for all your input.  This forum's fantastic!!

----Mac

I think the OP's plan is to raise his sample cup near the drain, then pull the ring on the fuel selector. Capturing the sample will let him check it better than examing a wet spot on the ramp.

I'd rather not probe it from the outside . . . . .