Aspen and Autopilot troubles

ToddDPT

We purchased our 201 with the Aspen already installed.  When flying the Aspen on GPSS it seems to have excessive hunting for the desired course and never really flies wings level.  It is much worse when cruising in crosswinds.  We have the Century IIB AP.  I have flown in a turbo arrow that also has the Aspen and Century IIB and it did not hunt anywhere near what our plane is doing.

I've been looking into this and heard it can be improved by increasing the "gain" on the Aspen, but I think that can only be done by an Aspen certified installer.  There was a new update to the Aspen in December and we have yet to do that, but I don't if that would help.  Has anyone had this problem with their Aspen and what did you do to improve it?  Thanks again for everyone's help.

Quote: carusoam

Todd,

Have you searched this site regarding the gain issue.  I know it has come up before.  Peter Lyons is our main contact from Aspen.  He is an excellent first hand resource.

http://www.mooneyspace.com/index.cfm?page=3&mainaction=posts&forumid=3&threadid=2309

Best regards,

-a-

I am having difficulty with the search function today also.

The post that I copied, has a response from Peter regarding gain adjustment and vertical control...

Are you able to click on it, were you able to find it?  (it seems similar to your challenge....)

The following quote are the issue from a user and the response from Peter at Aspen.... 

"He also said that it was his opignion that the faster the aircraft the more pronounced it was.

In each and every case the fix was to reduce the pitch gain.  He adjusted mine 1 unit.  " - david

"Who is your shop? I'd like to have our Field Service Engineers follow up with them to better understand the issues they are reporting with the EA100 alignment procedures."  - Peter

Hopefully this points you in the right direction of who to contact, and what they are going to ask you...

Best regards,

-a-

I have been hearing alot of these various glitches with Aspen.  It is disturbing. It makes me hold off on installing. I'm not sure if Garmin G500 has similar issues.  It would be disappointing and a hassle to have it installed and then have to go back and forth to get it to work right.  I know Aspen stands behind it and all but frankly it shouls work the first time.  Is it Aspen or is it the installers. Maybe both.  They aren't ready for prime time it seems.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Aspen.  It is a great product.  I think most of these upgrades such as Aspen or Garmin require fine tuning with the autopilots.  I know that the turbo Arrow I flew in required 2 trips back to have the AP or Aspen adjusted and then it worked just fine.  We purchased our plane right when the individual installed the Aspen so I, not knowing much about it, didn't push the issue about the AP and me being new to planes with APs didn't have the knowledge to question anything.  I have a feeling we just need some adjustment.

Quote: allsmiles

I have been hearing alot of these various glitches with Aspen.  It is disturbing. It makes me hold off on installing. I'm not sure if Garmin G500 has similar issues.  It would be disappointing and a hassle to have it installed and then have to go back and forth to get it to work right.  I know Aspen stands behind it and all but frankly it shouls work the first time.  Is it Aspen or is it the installers. Maybe both.  They aren't ready for prime time it seems.

Quote: ToddDPT

We purchased our 201 with the Aspen already installed.  When flying the Aspen on GPSS it seems to have excessive hunting for the desired course and never really flies wings level.  It is much worse when cruising in crosswinds.  We have the Century IIB AP.  I have flown in a turbo arrow that also has the Aspen and Century IIB and it did not hunt anywhere near what our plane is doing.

I've been looking into this and heard it can be improved by increasing the "gain" on the Aspen, but I think that can only be done by an Aspen certified installer.  There was a new update to the Aspen in December and we have yet to do that, but I don't if that would help.  Has anyone had this problem with their Aspen and what did you do to improve it?  Thanks again for everyone's help.