Driving the S-TEC

My E has an S-TEC 40!AP with altitude hold and it's coupled to a GX55. Turn coordinator control and heading bug from the DG.

I'm very interested in the Garmin G5 for both (2 units) AI / secondary ASI/VSI/ALT/TC, and as an HSI, but understand it won't talk to the S-TEC. Is there a similar setup that will? I hate precessing DGs, would love to go digital.

Allso, I don't know the details of how it's all hooked up yet (don't have possession of the plane yet), but is it safe to assume that if the GX55 can drive the S-TEC, a GNS430W will also be able to?

Thanks!

2 minutes ago, chrixxer said:

My E has an S-TEC 40!AP with altitude hold and it's coupled to a GX55. Turn coordinator control and heading bug from the DG.

I'm very interested in the Garmin G5 for both (2 units) AI / secondary ASI/VSI/ALT/TC, and as an HSI, but understand it won't talk to the S-TEC. Is there a similar setup that will? I hate precessing DGs, would love to go digital.

Allso, I don't know the details of how it's all hooked up yet (don't have possession of the plane yet), but is it safe to assume that if the GX55 can drive the S-TEC, a GNS430W will also be able to?

Thanks!

None of the inexpensive backups including the ESI 500 have an AP interface.  You'll need to go Aspen or G500 for that.  Certainly the GNS 430W will interface to the S-Tec.

Don is correct... Aspen is currently the lowest cost electronic way to get rid of the gyros and still interface with an autopilot.

I am still watching/waiting as this space is changing quickly and I have been wanting a solution like dual G5 units for redundancy, but of course with autopilot support for my STEC-30. Hopefully we'll have some more news at Oshkosh this year.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

• 2 months later...

The STEC 40 is a rate based autopilot.  I don't believe there is a conversion for any rate based autopilot to convert to an attitude based autopilot which would use the G5 AI.  Garmin did just announce (today) an interface box for there G5 DG/HSI for STECs and other autopilots for heading information.

This is exactly what I've been waiting for now! Hopefully the interface box is modestly priced to go with a dual G5 installation, which can later be upgraded to the GFC500 autopilot. A very nice development and upgrade path.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, flyntgr1 said:

The STEC 40 is a rate based autopilot.  I don't believe there is a conversion for any rate based autopilot to convert to an attitude based autopilot which would use the G5 AI.  Garmin did just announce (today) an interface box for there G5 DG/HSI for STECs and other autopilots for heading information.

Directly from the Garmin announcement:

Third-party autopilot support is expected to include the following autopilots:

• Century II/III
  • Century IV (AC), IV (DC)
  • Century 21/31/41
  • Century 2000
  • Cessna 400B
  • Cessna 300 IFCS/400 IFCS
  • Honeywell (Bendix King) KAP 100/150/200
  • Honeywell (Bendix King) KFC 150/200
  • Honeywell (Bendix King) KAP 140
  • Honeywell (Bendix King) KFC 225
  • S-TEC 20/30/40/50/55/60-1/60-2/65
  • S-TEC 60 PSS
  • S-TEC 55X

This is exactly what I've been waiting for now! Hopefully the interface box is modestly priced to go with a dual G5 installation, which can later be upgraded to the GFC500 autopilot. A very nice development and upgrade path.

Don't know about the b version, but the current 29 is $425.
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, flyntgr1 said:

Yeah, which is all I want - heading bug interface for the HSI mode, that can connect to the S-Tec. I'm fine with keeping it rate-based, it works well enough as is, just want to eliminate my vacuum gyros (and the G5 is a killer piece of kit).