Which Plane Fits The Mission??

Cwalsh7997

Hey guys,

The current owner I fly for who currently owns a Comanche 250, wants to upgrade his plane. His mission is based out of PBI and the usual trips are weekly to New Orleans, and mainly to Philly and New Jersey. He also always loads his plane max gross so a plane which a high useful load is a must, also a good cruise speed and range is a must in order to fly direct to Philly and such and also in the future be able to make crossings to Europe. His budget is about 400K, a couple of my options right now is a Cessna 421C, Cessna 414, possibly an Aerostar? Lemme know with your reasons and operating costs with the aircraft.

C340 hands down. Faster than the 421, flys better. Look for one with American intercoolers and Ram conversions. You could find a really nice one for well below your budget. Cheaper to run than the 421, 414, and Aerostar.

Great airplane!

-Matt

I love spending other people's money.  I would have the C model 421 prior to s/n 801.  801 and higher have trailing link gear and lower useful load.

I have taken care of 2 for more than 20 years, bigger roomier cabin than a 340, better exhaust system than a 340 or 414, reliable simpler hydraulic gear system, wet wings not bladders.

Clarence

Palm beach to Europe is going to be a normal run?

No pressurized cabin?

200+kts?

Mooney MGTW won't work?  1000LB UL?

Turbine Mooney may be too expensive?    TBM 700 is about 900AMU...

Twin Mooney is worth comparing to...   http://www.trade-a-plane.com/search?category_level1=Multi+Engine+Piston&make=COMMANDER&model=500B&listing_id=2168346&s-type=aircraft

The commander can be equipped with turbo IO540s and some have pressurization.

Like Clarence, I enjoy spending OPM...

Best regards,

-a-

C340a (needs to be the a) or a Piper Malibu. The Malibu will do 205knts on 20gph and has pressurization. 

The C340a will do 220 or so on 36gal/hr or more. 

Piper only has 1 engine to OH; the 340A has 2. A 340A OH will run you about 145k; A piper about 56k. 

I also like how the pipers cabin is set up, very roomy. 

The downside is that its 1 engine to fail. It goes the plane goes. 340A you have a 2nd engine and you can limp to the nearest airport.