Mooney Insurance providers in Canada

Houman

Hi,

I got to renew my insurance in a bout 40 days and I'm starting to shop around for potential providers.

For now I know of Charette Assurance ( Insurance Brooker ) and COPA in Canada. 

Does anyone know other reputable and reasonable haul and full aircraft and passenger insurance provider in Canada.

right now the aircraft is insured for 150K all risks in flight and ground, plus 1M DM/BC including passengers.

Thanks !!!

I was with Magnes (COPA) I'm now with Marsh, for the same coverage, even with $2m liability instead of $1m, which other company wouldn't offer, Marsh was cheaper by +/- $300. 

Kind of curious what rates are? I get mine from JL Davidson and Assoc in Ajax ON. I have a J with 210,000 coverage. Paying 1.1 % full coverage

I'm with Davidson also and am very happy with them. I've found them very knowledgeable with al aircraft and plans.

Yves, Marsh was quite expensive, I still have 2 quotes to receive, but till now, it looks like COPA is the best deal for me, last year they didn't want to even insure me because I had no time on the Rocket, now with 65h on it, they are the best price wise.

• 2 weeks later...

Got most of the quotes in now. My Hull value is $65K, 1 million liability. There are some variations for deductible here and there but I am not taking this into account. Prices are BASE TAX TOTAL

Marsh

$1534 $138 $1672

COPA (Magnes)

$1653 $148 $1801

Charette

$1378 $124 $1542 (they have a $40 admin fee)

EAA

$1323 $119 $1442

Still waiting for a quote... however looks like I will go with EAA this year if they don't get beat.

I went with Marsh 2 years ago because they were really cheaper than the others after being with Magnes for many years. Is it me, but I believe if you don't shop around this will keep going up until you realize they charge you more than what you should pay?

Yves

Yves, I had a prop strike in April, stupidly taxiing into soft grass due to a brain fart. The deductible can make a huge difference. I'm glad I paid the additional premium (to me) to keep that cost down. The deductable factor shouldn't be minimised.

I prefer a known annual small hit to a potential unknown massive one. I'm risk averse. YMMV

Yves, I had a prop strike in April, stupidly taxiing into soft grass due to a brain fart. The deductible can make a huge difference. I'm glad I paid the additional premium (to me) to keep that cost down. The deductable factor shouldn't be minimised.

I prefer a known annual small hit to a potential unknown massive one. I'm risk averse. YMMV

This varies a bit between quotes. The cheapest has $500 deductible. There was another one where the deductible is $1000 but if your claim is > $1000, the deductible is void, which means they just don't want to hear from you for small things.

$500 deductible is OK for me. This will not break the bank.

Yves

I sent an email to Marsh to see if they can match the price I got from Nacora (EAA Canada insurance broker) and the reply came that they cannot. So I will switch to the EAA offering for this year. I am planning to continue being EAA member (Required for camping at OSH) anyway so this does not make any difference.

Strangely enough, the quote from COPA is the highest of all. I did check last year if using discounts provided by the membership are worth it and they were not. I will not renew my membership.

Yves