Headliner speaker mount

Hello all,

Can anyone tell me how the speaker is supposed to be mounted in the headliner panel ('66E)? This is the long panel with the four round air vents and the rectangular greenish cabin light. This unit also has two spotlights for the (main) panel that are controlled by ancient rheostats.

When I pulled the panel, the speaker was attached to it with large washers overlaying the speaker mounting flange. Then safety wire was strung between the four washers. I thought this looked kludgy and wondered if the speaker was supposed to be attached to the ceiling, but I could find no attachment points or bracket. The PM and S&MM give no clues.

post-7222-0-71212100-1396796889_thumb.jp

But seriously, in my humble A&P opinion, as long as it is mounted "using good aviation practices" nothing else matters. If you figure out a better way and you have an A&P friend who says, "yeah, that looks good" then don't worry too much and just be happy with your plane.

But seriously, in my humble A&P opinion, as long as it is mounted "using good aviation practices" nothing else matters. If you figure out a better way and you have an A&P friend who says, "yeah, that looks good" then don't worry too much and just be happy with your plane.

Andy, please, it does matter--I'm an engineer.

On my 67f it's mounted to an aluminum frame that is attached to the aluminum skin.

Ahhh-HA! I thought so, or should I say I had hoped so. Do you by any chance have the part number of this frame? I checked the manuals and could not find it. This could be a repair kludge, where the first kludge is replaced by a new one. <sigh>

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of little L-shaped aluminum strips from fuselage skin to speaker mount. If it's all taken apart, you might be able to find the holes where the strips were...or maybe just drill a couple of fresh holes, though that may be a bit intimidating.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk