Database Upload - KLN 90B

carusoam

This actually applies to a family of KLN 89, 90, 90A, 900 and then some....

What method do you use to update your database? 

[1] Web download to PC, then upload to GPS.  [2] Disk in mail, then upload to GPS.  [3] Remove GPS and sub out data card.

I tried to upload a new data base (first time for me) from honeywell/bendix king today to no avail.  The RS232 cable that is neatly stowed in a side pocket can be traced to the back of the radio stack.  Unfortunately, it behaved as it was not attached to anything.

The laptop tried to send the data.  the GPS was in the ready to receive mode (SET 0, CRSR, ENT, ENT).  All I got was a message that indicated that the database loader was not ready.

Is there a way to test if the PC and GPS are communicating?  (I got good results downloading data out of the JPI EDM - different cable / software of course)

Thanks for any tips or insight.

- anthony -

I have a KLN94 GPS that I update on the Cessna.  I download the database from Bendix/King at a cost of $380/year onto a laptop then bring it out to the plane for upload.

The B/K cable was $70 and the recommended Serial-USB adapter was $25.  Definitely worth the work to get the database for 1/2 price.  It would be nice if we had more than 2 instrument students right now so it would be more worth the money.

Going to start a Garmin subscription on my Mooney once the GPS is installed then the plane completes annual.  Haven't researched how to do it from Jepp.