Avionics upgrade scheduled

omega708

Thanks for posting the pictures Omega! I have just started an upgrade on my F model. I'm sure you went through the same angst I am going through. My Mooney is my keeper and I have invested in it over the years to improve safety and reliability (as well as a certain amount of redundancy thrown in for good measure). I'm excited to hear how you like the GTN 650. I looked at both the 750 and 650 and just couldn't justify the extra expense considering I am also putting in an Aspen. I wish Garmin would rethink their 750 and offer one without the built in audio panel. I would certainly have opted for a cheaper version that would allow me to use my audio panel.

Here is where I am at currently:

IMG00045-20121017-1459.jpg

• 1 month later...

What started out as an IFR cert has ended in a panel upgrade of sorts and I'll get to see the results thursday. I completed the IFR training in September and in the process learned how much the panel needed. I pondered trading for a better equipped plane but I just cant part with the economy, I just cant do it. Anyhow, plans were to take out the DG, the Narco 122d and the Narco com and putting in a 430WAAS, NSD360 and also there was a problem with the A/P that needed ironing out. Everything was going according to plan until it was time to install the HSI, which wouldnt fit in the available space. So a new panel has been cut. Cant wait to try it all out! If I ever DO decide to trade up, I think I'll just go in a partnership on a twin and keep the little Mooney nothing beats it.

• Like 1

Marauder, the 750 doesn't have a built in audio panel. You may choose the remote units (GMA35 and/or the remote tx GTX33 ) if you want. It certainly can be used with any other ap and tx.

With the huge 750 Garmin maximized the screen area utilizing space that would normally be taken up by ap and tx. This can be important in tight panels. Garmin ingenuity!

I chose the remote units with the 750 and cleaned up my panel. Check pics in my gallery.

Marauder, the 750 doesn't have a built in audio panel. You may choose the remote units (GMA35 and/or the remote tx GTX33 ) if you want. It certainly can be used with any other ap and tx.

With the huge 750 Garmin maximized the screen area utilizing space that would normally be taken up by ap and tx. This can be important in tight panels. Garmin ingenuity!

I chose the remote units with the 750 and cleaned up my panel. Check pics in my gallery.

Hi Allsmiles. I guess I wasn't too clear on what I was getting at. I understand that the physical audio boxes are separate. My point was that the control of the audio panel was done within the 750. According to the avionics shop, when you lose the 750, you lose access to the control of the audio panel. And that was what I was talking about.

What is the default mode when you lose the 750? Can you control the second radio with the 750 turned off?