Crosley engine in Mooney Mite

I was told years ago that the first Mites had Crosley engines, I assume they were the sheet metal variety. I checked on the Mite site and sure enough the early planes did use Crosleys. However, they were replaced with Continentals I believe as the Crosleys had problems. Just wondering, did any Mites survive with that igenious Crosley engine?

Quote: nels

I was told years ago that the first Mites had Crosley engines, I assume they were the sheet metal variety. I checked on the Mite site and sure enough the early planes did use Crosleys. However, they were replaced with Continentals I believe as the Crosleys had problems. Just wondering, did any Mites survive with that igenious Crosley engine?

Dave, I also owned a Crosley in the past, a '52 Super convertible sdn. Living in Cincinnati I actually bought and still have two Crosley nos crate engines. The forged crank was available but not in the cars until maybe very late. I also have one of the brazed blocks just as a curiosity thing or paper weight. That engine did weigh under 50 #'s minus starter and generator. I would think a brazed engine with the forged crank would probably survive in a plane. They were very well accepted in the circle track racing arena and were putting out over 70 hp with plenty of massaging. I bet the guys at the Crosley nationals would blow their minds if a Crosley powered Mooney dropped in at their meet. Are there any phots of a Mite with the Crosley in it?

Dave, I also owned a Crosley in the past, a '52 Super convertible sdn. Living in Cincinnati I actually bought and still have two Crosley nos crate engines. The forged crank was available but not in the cars until maybe very late. I also have one of the brazed blocks just as a curiosity thing or paper weight. That engine did weigh under 50 #'s minus starter and generator. I would think a brazed engine with the forged crank would probably survive in a plane. They were very well accepted in the circle track racing arena and were putting out over 70 hp with plenty of massaging. I bet the guys at the Crosley nationals would blow their minds if a Crosley powered Mooney dropped in at their meet. Are there any phots of a Mite with the Crosley in it?

I'm not sure but I think the forged crank was available to the military in maybe the late 40's or early 50's. I know there was a ton of speed equipment available, especially from Braje (sp). I wonder if the Mooney ran the stock Crosley or was in warmed over a little.

I really enjoyed my old Crosley. It was underpowered for sure but I got more female attention in that car than ANY other car I've owned, that includes Maseratis, Lotus Esprits, Porche, Stude Avantis etc . I never would have beleived that a Crosley conv was key to meeting almost any chick on the planet. One lady actually stopped in front of me at a stop sign and walked backed just to see the car. It reminded me of an amusement park miniature car that somehow escaped from the park and was just having a happy time driving around the country side.

I'm not sure but I think the forged crank was available to the military in maybe the late 40's or early 50's. I know there was a ton of speed equipment available, especially from Braje (sp). I wonder if the Mooney ran the stock Crosley or was in warmed over a little.

I really enjoyed my old Crosley. It was underpowered for sure but I got more female attention in that car than ANY other car I've owned, that includes Maseratis, Lotus Esprits, Porche, Stude Avantis etc . I never would have beleived that a Crosley conv was key to meeting almost any chick on the planet. One lady actually stopped in front of me at a stop sign and walked backed just to see the car. It reminded me of an amusement park miniature car that somehow escaped from the park and was just having a happy time driving around the country side.