Flew in a Mooney Rocket!!!

LFOD

Quote: KSMooniac

There isn't one for Mooneys.  Slapping a turboprop on non-pressurized singles doesn't make a lot of sense because you can't really go high enough without pressurization to make it payoff in terms of range and speed.  On a long trip, a stock or turbo-normalized Bonanza can get there faster than the turboprop conversion unless they make an unnecessary fuel stop whereas the turboprop will have to stop.  All that aside, the "cool factor" is strong!

Mooney had a loose arrangement with Rolls Royce to develop a turboprop Mooney, but from what I understand the goal behind that was to primarily be an alternative fuel option for export Mooneys to areas where 100LL is scarce.  It would have been optimized for cruise in the mid-teens and be slower than the Acclaim with higher fuel burn.

The step-up from an Acclaim would be a Meridian (or Rocket-converted Malibu/Mirage) or a TBM.  The PA46 can't carry much, but the TBM is a sweet, sweet machine with Mooney lineage, so you should aim for that.  ;)

Rockets are very versatile.  Want to go fast, burn 20 gph.  Want to save some money, true out at 145-150 kts at 12 - 13 gph.  Want to go up, and up, and up?  Point the nose that way and put on the oxygen soon because you will need it soon.  Want to clear that tree line at the end of the runway?  Hot day?  High altitude?  Who cares?  Push in the throttle and takeoff.  Easy.  About the only thing I can't do well in a Rocket is short landings without risking the nose gear and carrying 4 people, bags, and lots of fuel (but if I cut back to 80 gal I can do pretty well).

It costs more to buy and very little more to operate on a mile:mile basis but there are always trade offs.

Oh, half an hour isn't nearly enough to understand what this plane can do.

Quote: KSMooniac

There isn't one for Mooneys.  Slapping a turboprop on non-pressurized singles doesn't make a lot of sense because you can't really go high enough without pressurization to make it payoff in terms of range and speed.  On a long trip, a stock or turbo-normalized Bonanza can get there faster than the turboprop conversion unless they make an unnecessary fuel stop whereas the turboprop will have to stop.  All that aside, the "cool factor" is strong!

Hey Rocketman - Good for you and welcome to the club!  Funny your tagline since the week after I got my rocket back in April, my wife got me one of those Sportys hats with a little Mooney stiched into it, my tail number, and the line "rocketman" - so my wife thinks I'm rocketman!

Just for us poor rocket owners with the normal stock engine from Continental - what is a Victor Black II Edition engine?

Thanks,

Erik

Check out Victor Engines at

http://www.victor-aviation.com/nav.shtml?company.shtml

And for the record I do not have any conflicts of interest to disclose in their business!