M20J Replacing Engine Mounts

Flymac

4 hours ago, Rookie said:

In the New Ovations and Acclaims there are advertising a new style engine mount. Has anyone out there tried to retro fit the older engine tree to accept these?  If they work so much better why not install them on the older planes? 

For years 550 powered Cirrus airframes have use an engine and mount with 4 mounts at the fron and 2 at the back, they don’t sag.

Clarence

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We have a 78 J we are planning to replace the 4 engine mounts during annual right now, with engine staying in.  Searched several threads discussing on the sag, deciding to change out or not, etc but not about getting the mounts in/our themselves.  The lower mounts a bit unsure how we would possibly get out-especially the lower right which is right up against the sheet metal-see picture.  It actually looks like someone in the past cut that entire corner out to get to it!  Is this what you have to do?  Or do the bolts not need to back-out as you loosen them, where you can pull the mount forward instead? Appreciate any input, Thanks
IMG_5401.JPG.a69d1ebab46bb532de81f3d89b60909a.JPG
IMG_5402.JPG.ca96af7f387769569573332507466339.JPG

My buddy and I replaced all four of mine in about 40 minutes. I have two big recommendations that I think was key for the ease of replacement. And one pro tip at the end of this comment.

First recommendation is get an engine leveler from harbor freight and two 6’ lift straps. Wrap one strap around the prop and the second at the back of the engine with an engine hoist.

https://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-capacity-load-leveler-60659.html

And the second recommendation is remove your exhaust.

Doing those two things gave us a lot of articulation to the engine to replace the mounts.

The pro tip:) put two sets of shims on the bottom mounts and one set of shims on the top mount. Then as the mounts sag remove the tip shims out and you have another length of time before the mounts should be replaced.

Really wished I recorded me replacing them because it was super easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...