User fees... Managua Nicaragua

Just to remind you guys how lucky we are in the upper 50 States... Tomorrow I am flying from Guatemala to Nicaragua for business. I decided to use my M20C instead of flying commercial. Flying time about 2.1 hours... So not a big deal... Until I got hit by user fees. Only to overfly and land in Nicaraguathey will charge me US$ 100.... In addition US$ 20 for a local handler, plus parking fees and landing fees... I don't even know how much the final bill will be.

But on the other hand the flight must he great. I will film it

Oscar

• Like 1

You are lucky that a young kid didn't came by to offer protection service for your plane.....or else? I got that in Panama. Do not refuel until leaving or you may do it twice. Did you get ice for your portable AC?

José 

Jose,

I got the portable AC and Icepaks... I am going to try it out tomorrow and see how it goes. I don't know it takes a LOT OF SPACE.... 

On the the fueling. Absolutely, I will " hire" a handler to ensure that everything goes smoothhhhh.....

Jose, 

Indeed, it took me about 45 min to get the paperwork done and get out of the airport. Not to bad... However, then I had to get some AVGAS. Because they just open after 8 AM I had to get back to the airport at 4 PM to fuel the plane... , I had to first pay 12.50 US$ per gallon, then get through security, wait for a bus go to the plane (with a crew of 5 people that would help me fuel the plane!) then I had to taxi the plane to the other side of the airport to the fuel pumps I nice gentlemen ask me to join me during the short hop to show me how to get there... Of course the bus drove the other 4 to the fuel pump.  At the fuel pump there was a soldier who asked me for my name and ID, plus the N number, registration, AW and LOGBOOKS!!! I showed him  the registration and AW but I explained to him that I did not need the logbooks. He was cool, wrote down my name and N number is a children's drawing book. Then I was able to get my 15 gallons of fuel, taxi back, close up the plane and take the bus back to the terminal... time 1.4 hours... no comments....

Thanks for the report Oscar. I had similar experiences in Latin America.

I even end up in jail in San Andres for not having a landing permit. On my way to Quito ferrying a C421 with stop at Cartagena Castro decided to fly that day and my Cuba overfly permit ($75) was denied at the border. I decided to circumnavigate Cuba to the west and land in San Andres for refueling. At San Andres they told me I was illegal and put me in jail for a night. Next day they sold me 50 gallons, just enough to Cartagena. But I saved $200 on the hotel and got to play dominoes with the jail guards. Wish I had one of those portable AC because there was no AC in my cell.

It helps to grease the process if you have souvenirs and $$$ for the officer's kids. I hope you speak fluent spanish otherwise it can get expensive. There is an extra charge for the translator.

BTW did you see any FAGs (Fuerza Aera Guatemalteca) in Guatemala. ("FAG" is written underneath the wing). Came to my mind in a dog fight with the US on the radio "Look out you have a FAG behind you, he is coming at you"

José 

Thanks for the report Oscar. I had similar experiences in Latin America.

I even end up in jail in San Andres for not having a landing permit. On my way to Quito ferrying a C421 with stop at Cartagena Castro decided to fly that day and my Cuba overfly permit ($75) was denied at the border. I decided to circumnavigate Cuba to the west and land in San Andres for refueling. At San Andres they told me I was illegal and put me in jail for a night. Next day they sold me 50 gallons, just enough to Cartagena. But I saved $200 on the hotel and got to play dominoes with the jail guards. Wish I had one of those portable AC because there was no AC in my cell.

It helps to grease the process if you have souvenirs and $$$ for the officer's kids. I hope you speak fluent spanish otherwise it can get expensive. There is an extra charge for the translator.

BTW did you see any FAGs (Fuerza Aera Guatemalteca) in Guatemala. ("FAG" is written underneath the wing). Came to my mind in a dog fight with the US on the radio "Look out you have a FAG behind you, he is coming at you"

José 

You are right it helps to ensure that you make people happy... un regalito para que este feliz... as somebody told me.

As an Argentine... you know my spanish is rather low quality according to the rest of the region... :=).

The FAG is practically non existent. They have I believe like 5 planes in flying condition.

I heard that they closed Don Torcuato airport in Buenos Aires some time ago. I landed two times there with "N" planes. It took two hours to clear Customs the first time. I didn't realize that there was a donation box for Customs officers retirement plan. My hangar neighbor Marcelo is from Argentina and of course he brags having the fastest and best Baron 58 there is. But I think you have the coolest M20C there is. Did you get any ice?

José