TLS/Bravo Takeoff performance at high density altitude

Rick Junkin

15 hours ago, carqwik said:

Just to clarify...my Bravo's INITIAL climb is doggy in high and hot conditions (as compared to cooler weather near sea level).  The differences (to me) are astounding. And by initial climb for high and hot, I mean from takeoff roll through climb until reaching 120 kts...then it gets with the program and seems to perform better.   

@donkaye already mentioned remaining in ground effect to build up to climb speed.One thing I've seen turbo pilots forget often is, high density altitude isn't just about power available. It's also about lack of airfoil efficiency. The two visuals I've seen on this are, (1) the prop is like a screw you are trying to drive into whipped cream rather than wood and (2) the prop has to drag you out of the tar before it can help you fly. (1) and probably the more nearly accurate, but the bottom line is all that turbocharged sea level power first needs to break you free before it can help you climb. 

The other common error I saw when I gave instruction in Colorado was a tendency for the uninitiated to rotate to the same attitude as at sea level. The deck angle at high density altitudes tends to be lower in order to get Vy (which is also a bit lower). There's probably a good technical explanation but, simplistically, if your deck angle is the same, you are presenting the same profile to less less dense air, resulting in increased profile and induced drag, thereby decreasing lift.

Of course, if the problem is the overall performance is substantially less than book compared with the performance delta at sea level (accounting for pilot technique in both situations) there may be a more important issue involved.

Well it's not technique nor anything wrong with the plane.  But perhaps it's just me...my Bravo loves cold/cool weather and performs like a little jet on climb out in these conditions.  But in the summer in Phoenix when it's 100 degree or more...wow... big difference.