M20J speed mods, windshield, and paint thread

So, is that a second pin, because I have one on the top center of the door opening now? I thought all J's have the one align and grab pin.

Gary, I did a bit of checking, and the pin kit is available with a Mooney part number.

Fantom,

That That is correct. It is a second pin. The latching mechanism does not grab this pin. It is strictly

passive, and it is designed to keep the door from being "sucked" outward from the lower pressure on

the outside of the door.

You'll have to be more specific about the gap.  My original nose gear doors were eroded away and left a gap at the forward edge, and I replaced the doors with the newer overlapping style, and spent a lot of time rigging them correctly.  Does that sound like your problem?

Does the gap run parallel to the long edges?  ie between the doors when they're closed?  Something is awry because there isn't an inboard-outboard adjustment that can be made as far as I recall.  

I purchased new gear doors in 2009 prior to paint.  I'm not sure what year the overlapping gear doors were started...perhaps sometime in the mid-80s.  I needed new ones anyway so I went for the later style, which is completely interchangeable.  I couldn't really measure any speed increase or noise reduction, despite the marketing claims.   :mellow:

Gary, I did a bit of checking, and the pin kit is available with a Mooney part number. (Sorry, but I don't have it available at the moment). The kit runs about $260, plus tax, and

installation. . . . . . snip . . . .  Not at all sure how it will be effective on a J, but I believe it will prove useful.

I've had the pin on my 201 for probably  >15 years. An especially good mod if you have a pump-up door seal, and doubtless worthwhile even if not. When the upper leading edge of the door is able to flex out due to the low pressure there, it most certainly adds drag. The pin, along with the pump-up seal (mine uses a hand squeeze bulb), makes the door quiet and free from air leaks too.

bumper