Transcontinental flying

csfahey

I reside on the east coast and am in the planning stage for a flight to Alaska next summer.  Has anyone undertaken a transcontinental flight in their Mooney?  I have an M20C so I am relegated to lower altitudes.  Any suggestions on routes?  Or time of season to accomplish this?   How about landing at outback strips?  I know the prop clearance is low but can it still be accomplished with good soft field technique? 

I have taken my C-model from WV to Wyoming, and will be going to Montana this summer. No problems with airports enroute. Flying west into the prevailing winds will slow you down some--flight aware showed my ground speed hovering around 130 kts for 1300 nm.

The best place to cross into Canada is central MT, but I don't remember the airport. It's a small airport right on the border, and will work for crossing both directions. A local flyer has been to AK three times, and is still there now. If I can get in touch with him, I'll forward his comments and suggestions. He took his C-172 two times, and is now in a C-182.

Good grass strips shouldn't be a problem. I go in and out of a local grass strip here, 2400' with a gravel pile at one end [it's at a cement plant, it's a BIG gravel pile], and the local YMCA outdoor pool & soccer fields at the other end. It's just not something I would try at gross weight, but two people and full fuel aren't a problem.

Have fun, fly safe and enjoy the trip! Getting there actually IS a lot of fun.

--Hank

Quote: csfahey

I reside on the east coast and am in the planning stage for a flight to Alaska next summer.  Has anyone undertaken a transcontinental flight in their Mooney?  I have an M20C so I am relegated to lower altitudes.  Any suggestions on routes?  Or time of season to accomplish this?   How about landing at outback strips?  I know the prop clearance is low but can it still be accomplished with good soft field technique? 

n707775298_729633_7620.jpg

Here's the ground track for my flight home in April of 2008 when I picked my M20J up in Trenton, NJ and flew it to Santa Monica (with the help of a Mooney pilot far more experienced than myself).  This doesn't address your Alaska or soft field concern and I'm low time so very conservative but here are some pointers.  1)  make sure you've got XM weather in the cockpit...makes a real difference when you are in the air long enough for conditions to change dramatically from forecasts.  2)  Fly Victors even if you're going VFR.  It's conservative, but saves a ton of time on route/altitude planning and is better asurance of radio coverage.  3)  I didn't do this, but file flight plans.  You'll be flying unknown terrain...just seems like the right thing to do.  4)  Allow for lots of schedule slack and expect to spend time on the ground due to weather when you'd rather be flying...if you end up with great weather then lucky you!  5)  Bring plenty of extra oil and good snacks that will keep your blood sugar regulated.  6)  Cash on hand is helpful when landing in random places.  7)  I hit nasty turbulence like I had never seen...in that case, back off to maneuvering speed and keep flying.  Hurts to give up the speed on a long flight but it'll soften the load.  8)  If you don't have it, you might want to pick up portable oxygen.  It's obviously helpful at altitude, but I sometimes use it under 10k on long flights...keeps me aware.  Not sure if that's placebo affect, but it works for me. 

Enjoy!

Quote: csfahey

Let me know when you come we can hook up, as far as XM I don't think it will work up here, at least the radio part don't in my pickup.

There are a few moonies up here, and I hear the do some of the gravel strips, most places have a pretty good runway. Many with large asphalt runways.

I'm in palmer, PAAQ.

Hi: We have done the transcontinental thing a few times and are doing it again this summer.

Alaska is great and the fileds that are grass are still not bad for clearance on the Mooneys. Just watch out for gopher holes in some of the tie down areas.

Alaska weather can go south in a heartbeat and that is the biggest problem we had.

Stick to the Alaska highway and you will always have an out if you need it.

Watch out for down drafts etc in the mountains and if you dont have mountain experience try and get some instruction before you head into them.

If you are passing throught Edmonton you are welcome to use the guest place we have and i can fill you in on where to go and where to avoid. Or we can grab lunch and i can fill you in on the best VFR routes etc.

I live out be a little paved airport and we have fuel etc.

Regards

Russ

Anybody heading up north for Alaska, the Yukon etc and passing through Edmonton or Calgary let me know.

You are welcome to stop by for fuel, lunch or if needed we have a huge RV we have turned into a fully equiped guest house for freinds and family and the occasional transient pilots.

russ

I was suprised how few mountains we crossed when we drove up, but you need to understand mountain weather,  or as they call it up here AK weather not much differance.

After driving it I can't wait till I could fly it, it would be so cool, there is the coolest strip by stone mountain, I want to live there but the wif says hell no, it is by far the coolest country I have ever seen, and I grew up in the mountains, Uintas in utah, and the Greys river by Jackson Wy, I was born in jackson. Love the tetons and the uintas but stone mountain is soooooooooooooooooo cooooooooooooool.

Haven't flown across our continent in a couple of years, but the last time we did, we were aiming for Calgary on our way to Vancouver, and due to wx, ended up in Edmonton. What a neat city! If it's not more than a day or so out of your way, it's worth stopping, if only to enjoy the fine hospitality.

We arrived during the week of summer- couldn't have been lovelier. Flowers everywhere in town, and wheat field from the outskirts to forever. Rented car, drove Ice Field Pkwy down the ridge of the Canadian Rockies and back... - gorgeous! And if there's a stronger word for 'pretty' than that, apply it to the flight over the top of the glaciers on our way west. Happy for turbocharger that made that hop easy and smooth at FL200.

Alaska? Someday, I sure hope, but my Mooney ain't landing on gravel if there's a paved alternative and the engine is still working.

I wish my wife would move there, I was so cool, small grass strip just below on this side, and saw lots of caribou coming over it, awsome lakes, just the coolest mountains I have seen.

If anyone is coming up I highly recomend you fly over it and take a look you will want to land and go for a drive.

• 3 months later...

Hello,

I just found a note from "Hank" asking me to respond to this and I hope Iam not too late and can help someone. Feel free to contact me @  MMESSNER@IEEE.ORG  or call me at 304.654.1417

I have made the trip from WV 4 times, twice in a 172 and twice in a 182. The Alcan X 2, Bellinham & up the coast X 1, Across Prince George & up X 1.  I currently reside in Anchorage and would be glad to offer assistance/advice.  Comming up the Alcan is really quite simple and straight forward.  The best advice I got was "if you can't see throught the pass, don't go into it".  Be patient with the weather. Candadian Customs are cool. Just don't bring alcohol, tobacco, or firarms will expedite things. The Weather Channel does a pretty sad job up here, even the locals have a hard time with the weather forcasting. Anchorage airspace is compact and complex, deserves some prepartion before entering but I have found the controllers here at Merrill great. They are used to transient pilots and will work with you. 

Mark