Adjusting Cowl Flaps

I’ve got an 80dF split between #5 & #6 cylinders. The left flap was jammed on a dent in the cowl and I managed to get it to close more, but not all the way. Any tips on how to adjust it?

IMG_7980.jpeg

IMG_7981.jpeg

IMG_7979.jpeg

See how much adjustment is still possible on the left cowl flaps pushrod, if nothing left you may have to take the cowl flap out and straighten the area where the bracket for the heim joint is riveted to the cowl flap, soft aluminum straightens easily 

On 4/16/2024 at 9:12 PM, Jetpilot86 said:

I’ve got an 80dF split between #5 & #6 cylinders. The left flap was jammed on a dent in the cowl and I managed to get it to close more, but not all the way. Any tips on how to adjust it?

IMG_7980.jpeg

IMG_7981.jpeg

IMG_7979.jpeg

That’s a fiberglass cowl. At this point it probably wouldn’t be a huge deal to repair the fiberglass. But with a “dent” in fiberglass you can be sure it’s got small cracks in it, which will spread. If that comes apart while you’re flying I’m not sure what the results would be, but i can’t imagine it being good. Plus if it goes beyond the point of being able to be repaired try finding a replacement cowl for a Bravo.

When you find out how expensive it is to fix the cowl and the cowl flaps properly, including matching paint, etc, you may want to make an insurance claim.

Ah, did not see the dent in the fiberglass cowl, absolutely repair that first, cowl flap pushrod may still need adjustment, best fiberglass repair is typically done by shops that work on gliders unless you know how to do it yourself from working on model airplanes, motorcycle fairings etc.

On 4/17/2024 at 6:38 PM, LANCECASPER said:

That’s a fiberglass cowl. At this point it probably wouldn’t be a huge deal to repair the fiberglass. But with a “dent” in fiberglass you can be sure it’s got small cracks in it, which will spread. If that comes apart while you’re flying I’m not sure what the results would be, but i can’t imagine it being good. Plus if it goes beyond the point of being able to be repaired try finding a replacement cowl for a Bravo.

When you find out how expensive it is to fix the cowl and the cowl flaps properly, including matching paint, etc, you may want to make an insurance claim.

As long as it makes it thru to December, I'll have it dealt with during the repaint then.... I'm more concerned with getting the #6 CHT down, which I can't figure out why it is a problem with the Cowl Flap on that side stuck open for so long....

1 minute ago, Jetpilot86 said:

As long as it makes it thru to December, I'll have it dealt with during the repaint then.... I'm more concerned with getting the #6 CHT down, which I can't figure out why it is a problem with the Cowl Flap on that side stuck open for so long....

Let's see a picture of your baffle seals.

is that a new dent causing the challenge?

or….

Let’s see why one cylinder is reading differently than the five others…

often, the odd one out is using a different sensor in a different cylinder location…

Check where your ship’s CHT gauge is, and see where the JPI sensor is…

To check if it is a sensor challenge, a simple swap of sensors between adjacent cylinders can prove what you are seeing…

There is a good chance that somebody installed a ring sensor, to get it to read 50°F too high…

bad ring sensors double as spark plug gaskets….
Crummy ring sensors are mounted on the TC well for the regular CHT sensor…

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic…

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

is that a new dent causing the challenge?

or….

Let’s see why one cylinder is reading differently than the five others…

often, the odd one out is using a different sensor in a different cylinder location…

Check where your ship’s CHT gauge is, and see where the JPI sensor is…

To check if it is a sensor challenge, a simple swap of sensors between adjacent cylinders can prove what you are seeing…

There is a good chance that somebody installed a ring sensor, to get it to read 50°F too high…

bad ring sensors double as spark plug gaskets….
Crummy ring sensors are mounted on the TC well for the regular CHT sensor…

Best regards,

-a-

The dent probably predates my ownership, but I’ll check the rest out. 

Thanks! 

8 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

Let's see a picture of your baffle seals.

They are a new GeeBee install by Maxwell. Found one bulge and cut it so it overlaps. They are good, now. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jetpilot86 said:

The dent probably predates my ownership, but I’ll check the rest out. 

Thanks! 

It's possible when they picked up the airplane that they jammed the cowl flaps or dented the cowl. http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/09/mooney-m20m-257-tls-n64sm-incident.html

When it was for sale it 2023 it only shows the cowl flaps open, so the pre-buy might have missed that: https://www.aircraft.com/aircraft/228063917/n64sm-1995-mooney-m20m-tls

@carusoam's suggestion to swap cht probes with another cylinder is a good idea. If that doesn't solve it, since your engine is a factory OH Lycoming with low hours, I would get Lycoming involved. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LANCECASPER said:

It's possible when they picked up the airplane that they jammed the cowl flaps or dented the cowl. http://www.kathrynsreport.com/2021/09/mooney-m20m-257-tls-n64sm-incident.html

When it was for sale it 2023 it only shows the cowl flaps open, so the pre-buy might have missed that: https://www.aircraft.com/aircraft/228063917/n64sm-1995-mooney-m20m-tls

@carusoam's suggestion to swap cht probes with another cylinder is a good idea. If that doesn't solve it, since your engine is a factory OH Lycoming with low hours, I would get Lycoming involved. 

Ya, I’ve got all those pics and more. Nothing I can discern from those pics.  

There are a few good things baked into this approach…

1) Maxwell is a top of the line shop… hard to find anything better.

2) BeeGee has a great record for making fantastic cowling seals.

3) To get one cylinder to be 50°F off from the others… something should stand out…

- additional gap somewhere

- lack of clearance elsewhere 

- something that robs the airflow from one cylinder, and allows it to flow past another instead….

4) Keep in mind… airflow at the top is affected by the air flow at the bottom… make sure all of the air passages go all the way in, and are free to go all the way back out….

5) Don’t trust the instruments, until proven to be correct….

:)

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jetpilot86 said:

Pre baffle swap. Head scratcher is the engine has 50 hours on it. 

IMG_7025.jpeg

If that is a factory overhaul you have a two year warranty on the cylinders. (https://www.lycoming.com/services/overhaul-engines)

If you've already swapped the CHT and determined that the cylinder is really running that much hotter than the rest I would talk to Lycoming asap.

• Like 1

Also…

CHT = ENERGY IN - ENERGY OUT

There are two parts to this equation.

We have been discussing cooling issues pretty extensively…

Did we look at any oddities related to the EGTs?

is the odd ball cylinder’s EGT peaking any sooner than the others?

Can you perform a Gami spread test, to see if anything stands out regarding fuel flow to the odd cylinder?

Back to the warranty issue… the Bravo’s cylinders are oil cooled heads.  How do mechanics check that the oil cooling is working properly on all of the cylinders?

PP thoughts on,y, not a mechanic or Lycoming owner…

Best regards,

-a-

If CHT probes swapped with no change, blowing the oil lines to the exhaust valve guides through can't hurt, maybe piece of debris in no 6 line or valve guide channel, do spread test and talk to gami, maybe fuel flow no 6, no result talk to Lycoming asap

9 hours ago, carusoam said:

Also…

CHT = ENERGY IN - ENERGY OUT

There are two parts to this equation.

We have been discussing cooling issues pretty extensively…

Did we look at any oddities related to the EGTs?

is the odd ball cylinder’s EGT peaking any sooner than the others?

Can you perform a Gami spread test, to see if anything stands out regarding fuel flow to the odd cylinder?

Back to the warranty issue… the Bravo’s cylinders are oil cooled heads.  How do mechanics check that the oil cooling is working properly on all of the cylinders?

PP thoughts on,y, not a mechanic or Lycoming owner…

Best regards,

-a-

Other than #5 & #6 being the last to peak, nothing odd with EGT’s. The GAMI sweep, pre-FineWires was right at .5gal, but keep the troubleshooting ideas coming. 

The oil cooling blockage is an interesting idea, the oil has about 20 hours on it, averages 185-190 in cruise, and looks clean. I’m due for a change by 25 hours on the oil. 

• Like 1