NorCal to SoCal VFR Transitions

katzhome

20 hours ago, FJC said:

Yes! VPLCP...sorry about that.

No worries!  I’m still relatively recent to aviation, so not knowing if I am missing an easy waypoint definition, I always try to ask.  Cajon looked like the likely candidate.

Thanks again for your input!

• 2 months later...
On 1/31/2023 at 11:21 PM, ZuluZulu said:

....  I have user waypoints programmed at distances on the LAX radials that take me to a point just north of the Bravo south of VNY and north of SMO, and then on the other side of LAX, it takes me to a point east of Torrance and close to FERMY yet on the radial.

Hi @ZuluZulu,

I still haven't had a chance to do this yet, but maybe after my annual this month.  What user waypoints do you use for the radials?  The closest I see are ETODE LAX FERMY.  I know the instructions state "Abeam Sepulveda Pass" and "exit near Vincent Thomas Bridge", but those aren't "fly-over" waypoints it looks to me.

Regards,

R.Katz

1 hour ago, katzhome said:

Hi @ZuluZulu,

I still haven't had a chance to do this yet, but maybe after my annual this month.  What user waypoints do you use for the radials?  The closest I see are ETODE LAX FERMY.  I know the instructions state "Abeam Sepulveda Pass" and "exit near Vincent Thomas Bridge", but those aren't "fly-over" waypoints it looks to me.

Regards,

R.Katz

They're user waypoints so you're not going to see anything close, they have to be custom-created.

LACRNB (LA Coastal Route North Bound) = 33.75972ºN/118.24434ºW

LACRSB (LA Coastal Route South Bound) = 34.11843ºN/118.52245ºW

That ends up looking like this passing through:

IMG_3480.PNG

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, katzhome said:

Thank you!  That is what I was thinking too.

Regards,

R.Katz

The coordinates were how ForeFlight interpreted it, but I originally entered something like LAX/123/10 and then played with the distance until it ended up as a point just outside the Bravo. So it’s along the radial rather than just an eyeballed waypoint. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ZuluZulu said:

The coordinates were how ForeFlight interpreted it, but I originally entered something like LAX/123/10 and then played with the distance until it ended up as a point just outside the Bravo. So it’s along the radial rather than just an eyeballed waypoint. 

Oh, nice, I didn't know that trick.  So LAX VOR on 123 radial distance of 10 nautical miles?

Thanks again!

Russell Katz

11 minutes ago, katzhome said:

Oh, nice, I didn't know that trick.  So LAX VOR on 123 radial distance of 10 nautical miles?

Thanks again!

Russell Katz

Yes, exactly. And then ForeFlight will translate that into GPS coordinates if you’re entering it as a waypoint. If you put it directly into the flight plan page (FPL) this is what you’ll get:

IMG_3481.jpeg

P.S. If you look up the LA Special Flight Rules chart, you can probably guess based on all this what the “LASFR” user waypoint is.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MB65E said:

LA special flight rules at 3,500 south and 4,500 north is the best way. Mini route is usually closed. Don’t need to talk with anyone but SoCal controllers are typically really good. 
-Matt

It’s the best way if you’re at those lower altitudes and don’t mind slowing down for the speed restriction. If you cruise higher than that and aren’t landing locally, it doesn’t make much sense to descend just to use it, and you’ll probably need to slow down during that descent to comply with the restriction.

I also find LASFR tends to have a lot of training traffic that I have to pass or maneuver around, and few pilots if any actually stay on the radial like they’re supposed to so you have to keep your head on a swivel. I don’t enjoy it. It’s better for slower Pipers and Cessnas, it’s not a great fit for better performing planes unless no one else is using it. Fewer people use the ATC-cleared transitions, which is why I use them. You’re definitely right about the controllers, I’ve never been denied services using one of the transitions. And if he’s only passing through to go to San Diego he’s better off staying higher. 

• Like 1