Champion Spark Plugs and Hard to Start

Howdy Gang

We've been troubleshooting a starting problem on my '66 E model for a bit, and found some disturbing problems with the Champion plugs that were in the engine.  These plugs were less than 3 years old with about 200 hours on them.  I am aware of all the internet activity about Champion plugs, now.

The problem has been with starting the engine on the first start of the day.  Hot starts have not been any more problematic than usual.  But getting the engine running when it's at ambient temperature has been a bear lately, with a lot of over priming needed, and plenty of huffing and puffing in the first 30 seconds.  It seemed as though only one or two cylinders were coming online.  All of this makes sense now, after pulling the plugs and disassembling them.  The gaps were not the problem.  The resistance measured was high, but ultimately inconclusive.

Upon removing the screw, spring, and resistor slugs, we found 3 of the screw-to-spring contact points were arcing enough to fry the springs.  See the picture attached.

New Tempest plugs have been installed, and the engine now starts like any other E/F/J model should.

Fly safe everyone!

Sam Lindsay, CFI/II/MEI

'66 E "Matilda"

• Like 1

I experienced a similar situation about a year ago.  My carb equipped Lycoming O-360 A1D , normally one of the easiest starting engines around, gradually became harder to start at ambient temperatures lower than the mid 50's F.  The Champion massive electrode plugs, harness, and mags had accumulated approximately 320 hours over 3 years.  In the past I have routinely run Champions to 400 hours with few issues and changed them only as a precaution. I was aware of the internet debate and Savvy Aviators position on internal resistance increases in Champion plugs but initially suspected some sort of marketing skullduggery by Tempest.  The mags and harness had checked out okay.  Nevertheless a change to Tempest massive electrode plugs eliminated the problem.

Unfortunately I trashed the Champions without checking the internal resistance but I now suppose some QA problem at Champion has given Tempest an opening.