Stalls in M20J

MooneyBob

If any of you have misgivings about stalling any light aircraft you need additional training. There I said it. 

I highly recommend (for all pilots) taking a course in Extreme Unusual Attitude Recovery/Extreme Maneuvers Training/Basic Aerobatics. They are available at a location near you and should be a periodic part of every pilot's personal recurrency program.  http://www.iacusn.org/schools/   

• Like 2

Those stall exercises sound like a pointless waste of time. Who actually stalls a Mooney flying straight ahead in a predictable fashion? Or with just you + instructor?

To actually practice stalls, load 4 people and fuel to gross weight and try climbing power on turns or steep power off turns. Thats how they actually happen. Or better yet get an AOA indicator and fly the right AOA and prevent stalls in the first place.

I wish I could be as awesome as you. I shall endeaver to persevere....

Exactly! Serious waste of time and it puts you potentially closer to an actual disaster. Everyone should go out and stall their Mooney once or twice to get a feel for how it behaves prior to a stall so they can recognize it and and avoid it potentially. After that, it's just a huge waste of time to convince yourself that you are a better than average pilot and ready for anything.

• Nobody enters a stall by accident in real life while watching the ball like a hawk with the reaction to recovery spring loaded and ready to snap. The reason they get in a stall and after that a spin, is they are oblivious and distracted in the first place.
  • Nearly no one stalls/spins in a real accident at 3-4,000ft AGL going straight and level. Real stall spin accidents occur within the traffic pattern, or at very low altitude.
  • From this we can conclude that if and when you actually get into a real stall/spin emergency it is highly unlikely that it will be straight ahead, ball centered and at an altitude where you can nicely recover. You were distracted enough to get into the stall in the first place, so I doubt you were focused on the slip/skid ball. You're going to drop a wing. These kinds of distractions rarely, if ever occur at cruise altitude, so likely you are looking death in the face. Will you push, or will you pull? Will you have time to run down the PARE checklist? Ultimately, will it matter?
  • Back in the good ol' days when spin recovery was required for the PPL, pilots routinely died from stall/spins a lot in those days. This fantastic stick and rudder training didn't save them at all. See above. In fact, it was so bad with students and instructors practicing for the test and dying, that the FAA changed their position and got rid of it. They were right. Learn to notice an impending stall and avoid it. That is best.  Since the change in policy, fatalities have gone down.
If you insist on going out and bobbling up up and down the sky at a safe altitude, so you can pat yourself on the back and tell yourself you're a super safe pilot, I'm 100% behind that. You're out there flying and honing your piloting skills. So you are a bit safer than some pilots that do no testing of their skills and that's awesome. Just don't kid yourself and think you are now immune to dying in a stall/spin accident. None of us are.

AND you...