Getting an EASA IR on the basis of a non-EASA IR

Awqward

I fly my N-reg aircraft in Germany on my FAA IFR. I plan to get my EASA IR this year. I joined PPLIR - there are quite a few knowledgable folks there. Hope to get some guidance on "how" from them. I would do it in Germany - and this process is currently more than infantile here...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This notice from the UK CAA ( http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/224/IR%20conversions%2020140425%202.pdf ) indicates that only an ATO can recommend someone for the flight test.....so we will be at the mercy of some organization whose job it is to discourage people from obtaining FAA IRs...so naturally they will find lots of reasons for retraining us to "proper" EU standards before making the recommendation....I don't have a good feeling about this!

I tend to agree. Are you familiar with www.pplir.org? They were a driving force in getting the new regulation in place. It is a small group, but highly qualified. I visited their booth at the Aero and joined them. I intend to use them as a sounding board and sparring partner for getting my conversion done w/o going through a complete new EASA IR-training.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yes, I am a member of PPLIR....in fact a French pilot with a Canadian ATPL(A) just posted there saying that is arranging a check ride with a French IRE to get his EASA IR.....no ATO involved I understand...sounds promising....

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully the BASA should become public soon, although whether that will be an easier route than the currently legal but difficult to find conversion route remains to be seen.  Of course, either way you're going to have to get on with whatever the requirements are fairly swiftly, as it is my understanding the April 2015 date is sufficiently unlikely to be extended as to all but say never!

Always good to see PPL/IR members here - Mooney & IFR - ideal way to travel distances with some surety!