Avionics Install - Price/options seem about right?

jrwilson

Hi,

Looking to get a 430W and probably traffic/weather with ADS-B...  Got this quote, does it look about right for price and equipment?

Avionics Installation Including New Equipment, Parts and Labor as listed below:

Garmin GNS 430W Nav/Com/WAAS GPS System/Com Freq Store-Recall 

Garmin GA 35 WAAS GPS Antenna System 

Garmin GI 106A VOR/ILS/GPS Indicator with GPS/VLOC Annunciator 

Avionics Multiport Cooling Fan System for Package

Kits, Breakers, Buss, Harnessing, Coaxes, BNC's, TNC's, Hardware, Terminals             

Total Equipment, Parts and Labor    14,490

Options:

Relocation and Rewire of existing #1 KX-155 System with Glide Slope receiver and

KI-209 VOR/ILS/Glide Slope Indicator to become #2 Nav/Com System with VOR/ILS/Glide Slope. 

Includes Dual Glide Slope / Dual VOR Nav Coupler, cables, etc.                     Total Parts and Labor        380

Garmin GDL 88 ADS-B System with Altitude Serial-Encoder System.  Provides Traffic and free

Weather display on GNS 430W, ADS-B In-Out Data for 2020 FAA compliance.        Parts & Labor     6,500

Notes:

Includes all Paperwork:   Forms 337, Weight & Balance / Equipment List Updates, Flight Manual

Supplements, ICA Paperwork and data, Log entries, Operating Handbooks, etc.

Includes All IFR Certifications:     WAAS GPS Thru LPV Approach,  VOR & ILS Systems,

Altimeter, Encoder, Static System, Transponder Certs:  FAR 91.411 thru 20k',  FAR 91.413.

Assumes aircraft has existing Altitude Encoding System compatible with the GNS 430W.  (most are).

Tax to be charged on very discounted equipment and parts cost only.

Includes general behind-panel cleanup and update of mechanical, harness, electrical, plumbing and buss

systems and peripheral systems for long-term reliability.

Assumes aircraft has proper and capable avionics master switch system.  (if installed).

New Garmin equipment carries a two-year factory warranty.

Installation carries a lifetime workmanship warranty.

Possible Trade-Ins have not yet been addressed.

Best way to know if this is in the "ball park" is to get another quote from a comparable avionics installer in your area.

I got this quote directly from Garmin's website. You might want to discuss the particular unit they are planning to install in your plane.

"Note: We will stop accepting orders for the GNS 430W in 2012. However, we will continue to provide repair services and maintenance software releases for the foreseeable future. See our GTN series if you're interested in products similar to the GNC series."

Hi, Looking to get a 430W and probably traffic/weather with ADS-B... Got this quote, does it look about right for price and equipment? Avionics Installation Including New Equipment, Parts and Labor as listed below: Garmin GNS 430W Nav/Com/WAAS GPS System/Com Freq Store-Recall Garmin GA 35 WAAS GPS Antenna System Garmin GI 106A VOR/ILS/GPS Indicator with GPS/VLOC Annunciator Avionics Multiport Cooling Fan System for Package Kits, Breakers, Buss, Harnessing, Coaxes, BNC's, TNC's, Hardware, Terminals Total Equipment, Parts and Labor 14,490 Options: Relocation and Rewire of existing #1 KX-155 System with Glide Slope receiver and KI-209 VOR/ILS/Glide Slope Indicator to become #2 Nav/Com System with VOR/ILS/Glide Slope. Includes Dual Glide Slope / Dual VOR Nav Coupler, cables, etc. Total Parts and Labor 380 Garmin GDL 88 ADS-B System with Altitude Serial-Encoder System. Provides Traffic and free Weather display on GNS 430W, ADS-B In-Out Data for 2020 FAA compliance. Parts & Labor 6,500 Notes: Includes all Paperwork: Forms 337, Weight & Balance / Equipment List Updates, Flight Manual Supplements, ICA Paperwork and data, Log entries, Operating Handbooks, etc. Includes All IFR Certifications: WAAS GPS Thru LPV Approach, VOR & ILS Systems, Altimeter, Encoder, Static System, Transponder Certs: FAR 91.411 thru 20k', FAR 91.413. Assumes aircraft has existing Altitude Encoding System compatible with the GNS 430W. (most are). Tax to be charged on very discounted equipment and parts cost only. Includes general behind-panel cleanup and update of mechanical, harness, electrical, plumbing and buss systems and peripheral systems for long-term reliability. Assumes aircraft has proper and capable avionics master switch system. (if installed). New Garmin equipment carries a two-year factory warranty. Installation carries a lifetime workmanship warranty. Possible Trade-Ins have not yet been addressed.
The quotes I received for a GTN 650 did not include the GI 106A but if I add one in ($2,095) you are in the installed price range of the 650 (within a $1,000). I would get multiple QUOTES, not estimates. The movement of the King radio should cost you nothing. They look like they are dropping it into the #2 spot which should not involve any re-wiring. I can't speak to the GDL-88 installed price but there are several here who have had it installed. The thing to watch out for is the amount of labor. When your plane is open for an upgrade, they should be installing a new wiring harness and some labor savings should be noted when you do things at the same time (like the GPS and GDL-88). I agree with Cruiser, shop around and if I would certainly consider the 650 over the 430 at this point in the life cycle of the 430.

Buy the 650. Check out the screen resolution for the 430 vs the 650. You are actually costing yourself (reduced resale) if you waste the money installing old technology. If you do the gdl88 you will really need the better resolution. I have the 650 and gdl88, so am speaking from experience. We are just trying to help...

12,500$ Is what a friend of mine paid for a 430W install in his Warrior 4 years ago.  I got a quote for a GTN-650 install for 14,500, and a GTN-750 was installed in my hangar mate's 182 for 17K laid in.  I'd keep shopping.

• 5 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2013 at 3:01 PM, jrwilson said:

Hi,

Looking to get a 430W and probably traffic/weather with ADS-B...  Got this quote, does it look about right for price and equipment?

Avionics Installation Including New Equipment, Parts and Labor as listed below:

Garmin GNS 430W Nav/Com/WAAS GPS System/Com Freq Store-Recall 

Garmin GA 35 WAAS GPS Antenna System 

Garmin GI 106A VOR/ILS/GPS Indicator with GPS/VLOC Annunciator 

Avionics Multiport Cooling Fan System for Package

Kits, Breakers, Buss, Harnessing, Coaxes, BNC's, TNC's, Hardware, Terminals             

Total Equipment, Parts and Labor    14,490

Options:

Relocation and Rewire of existing #1 KX-155 System with Glide Slope receiver and

KI-209 VOR/ILS/Glide Slope Indicator to become #2 Nav/Com System with VOR/ILS/Glide Slope. 

Includes Dual Glide Slope / Dual VOR Nav Coupler, cables, etc.                     Total Parts and Labor        380

Garmin GDL 88 ADS-B System with Altitude Serial-Encoder System.  Provides Traffic and free

Weather display on GNS 430W, ADS-B In-Out Data for 2020 FAA compliance.        Parts & Labor     6,500

Notes:

Includes all Paperwork:   Forms 337, Weight & Balance / Equipment List Updates, Flight Manual

Supplements, ICA Paperwork and data, Log entries, Operating Handbooks, etc.

Includes All IFR Certifications:     WAAS GPS Thru LPV Approach,  VOR & ILS Systems,

Altimeter, Encoder, Static System, Transponder Certs:  FAR 91.411 thru 20k',  FAR 91.413.

Assumes aircraft has existing Altitude Encoding System compatible with the GNS 430W.  (most are).

Tax to be charged on very discounted equipment and parts cost only.

Includes general behind-panel cleanup and update of mechanical, harness, electrical, plumbing and buss

systems and peripheral systems for long-term reliability.

Assumes aircraft has proper and capable avionics master switch system.  (if installed).

New Garmin equipment carries a two-year factory warranty.

Installation carries a lifetime workmanship warranty.

Possible Trade-Ins have not yet been addressed.

I am down the hill in Sacramento. I know it has been a few years since your quote but I am curious where you obtained it. More importantly, are you happy with the install?

Thanks, Bob

I have a gtn650 and am happy with it....but if I were to buy today, I would buy the Avidyne IFC-540... a friend of mine bought the 540 & a free L3 for only $20,000 fully installed in his Muskateer...that was a real deal.  And please realize that the 540 is the big screen...

If you fly foreflight or Garmin Pilot and you fly IFR, and want to exchange flight plans you absolutely need to have flight stream 510...another 1400 or so.