LED Landing Light - AeroLed Sunspot

Zulee

I just replaced my original PAR 46 incandescent light with the AeroLed Sunspot LX.  I'm not an electrical engineer so if i use the wrong term and you feel the need to correct me...get over it!!  This post is informational only and to share my experience and outcome in making this big investment (assuming you agree $500 for a landing light is a big investment).

...on a side-note

For those of you that made it to "Frost Kosh" early enough to join the Mooney Caravan BBQ on Sunday, wow what a great group of folks!  The pulled pork, corn on the cob and draft beer (spotted cow...I think) was wonderful.  I'm sorry I didn't make the Caravan this year but I assure you I will there in 2014.

Dave Martin, thanks for the hospitality, you made us feel very welcome and part of the Mooney family.

Ok back to the landing light, as you can see from the attached photo's the light itself is pretty cool looking with the 4 big LED's and 5 small ones.  The next picture is simply reminding you it does matter which wire you're using unlike the original bulb that doesn't care which side the ground is connected.

The next shot looks like a campsite but I found it easier to spread out some towels so I could manipulate the cowling while removing the light assembly.  And lastly the finished job and don't ask why the little LED's are glowing yellow...I'm not a photographer either.

Overall the job was very simple, the PAR 46 slid right into place and other than making sure your wires are not crossed...nothing to it.  The light is crazy bright, myself along with two pilot buddies walked in front of the plane about 40 feet and you could not look at the light...keep in mind it is noon, clear skies and sun shining bright. Unfortunately i can't tell you in this post how it does down the runway but I am planning a night flight this evening and will give you some feedback.

Rick

post-8793-0-42575400-1377444467_thumb.jp

post-8793-0-86597800-1377444505_thumb.jp

post-8793-0-95606500-1377444549_thumb.jp

post-8793-0-43935200-1377444572_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I replaced my 65 E with the Whelen Par46 LED light and total time was 30 mins.  Open Right Side Engine cowl access #2 Phillips).  Remove the 4 screws from the lamp bezel (#1 phillips),  2 from the wires (stubby blade screwdriiver). Pull the bulb out the front, keeping the foam supports.  Instal the LED bulb, Install the lamp bezel and 4 screws.  Attach wires (Black screw is positive).  Test, then close up the engine cowl.  Log book entry that you replaced the bulb with the P/N of the bulb you used. 

BILL

I too have been looking at the AeroLEDs.  I'm glad you are happy so far with the 46LX.  I think many of the PAR 46 units are great.  I've been worried about the PAR 36 units as they just produce less light (less surface area).  I have done a lot of research and decided that the PAR 36 AeroLED is what I'm going to get.  Originally, the only one for certified aircraft was the 36HX which pulses/wig wags and costs $150 more.  The 36LX is now availalbe in the same brightness (it was less during the first factory run) and is for $150 less than the HX.  Both are still less expensive than the 46 but that's because it's a smaller unit.  However, I have need for one taxi and one landing light, so it'll still be a $500 plus investment. 

Also, if I go with the HX, I'd have to rewire the airplane to have a pulse, on, off, setting, and while I'm at it, I coudl separate the taxi from landing light, but all that wiring would cost more, plus a new switch in the cabin, and with $438 bulbs x 2, switch, and wiring, we're looking at over $1000 for landing light upgrades.  Nope - going with the 36LX drop ins for still too much.  However, never again will I have to switch out landing lights and the added saftey of having the lights on during flight is a major safey increase.

Keep us updated with the PIREP for night operations.  I'm curious how the 46LX performs over distance.  I'm confident it will be adequate.

-Seth

Of course the low amperage and long life of an LED array are advantages, the real test is how it performs on a dark night, and I look forward to the follow-up report.

Just a side note, however: I wouldn't put too much store in dazzling intensity, per se, because, just as the apparent luminosity of a star is a function of its brightness (temperature) and its size, so it is with lights. In other words, very bright but small elements do not, necessarily, emit more light than a dimmer but larger one.

PIREP

The night flight exceeded my expectations...it was like day and night (no pun intended) compared to the old bulb. The best way to explain the crispness and whiteness would be comparable to when you replaced the old flashlight at the hangar with one of the new LED's...it is just intense.

As far as Whelen verses AeroLed, either is far superior to the old incandescent bulb so I don't see how you could go wrong regardless the brand. I did my own research as well as some demo's at Oshkosh and for me the choice was AeroLed.

PIREP

The night flight exceeded my expectations...it was like day and night (no pun intended) compared to the old bulb. The best way to explain the crispness and whiteness would be comparable to when you replaced the old flashlight at the hangar with one of the new LED's...it is just intense.

As far as Whelen verses AeroLed, either is far superior to the old incandescent bulb so I don't see how you could go wrong regardless the brand. I did my own research as well as some demo's at Oshkosh and for me the choice was AeroLed.

Thanks for the PIREP...now I am also decided...:)

I too have been looking at the AeroLEDs.  I'm glad you are happy so far with the 46LX.  I think many of the PAR 46 units are great.  I've been worried about the PAR 36 units as they just produce less light (less surface area).  I have done a lot of research and decided that the PAR 36 AeroLED is what I'm going to get.  Originally, the only one for certified aircraft was the 36HX which pulses/wig wags and costs $150 more.  The 36LX is now availalbe in the same brightness (it was less during the first factory run) and is for $150 less than the HX.  Both are still less expensive than the 46 but that's because it's a smaller unit.  However, I have need for one taxi and one landing light, so it'll still be a $500 plus investment. 

Also, if I go with the HX, I'd have to rewire the airplane to have a pulse, on, off, setting, and while I'm at it, I coudl separate the taxi from landing light, but all that wiring would cost more, plus a new switch in the cabin, and with $438 bulbs x 2, switch, and wiring, we're looking at over $1000 for landing light upgrades.  Nope - going with the 36LX drop ins for still too much.  However, never again will I have to switch out landing lights and the added saftey of having the lights on during flight is a major safey increase.

Keep us updated with the PIREP for night operations.  I'm curious how the 46LX performs over distance.  I'm confident it will be adequate.

-Seth

Seth,

You might consider "wiring" the landing and taxi light so that when you switch the taxi light on, only it comes on. But when you switch the landing light on you get both taxi and landing lights at the same time. This is super easy to do with no extra wires to pull. Simply install a 5 amp diode, "banded side" (cathode) to the positive terminal of the taxi light and the other side of the diode (anode) to the positive terminal of the landing light. 

BTW, we ran some tests comparing the Whelen Parmetheus (sp?) to the AeroLeds in PAR 36 in a pitch black Idaho mountain meadow. No contest AeroLed wins hands down. Like switching from low beams to high in a car. 

bumper

• Like 1

BTW, we ran some tests comparing the Whelen Parmetheus (sp?) to the AeroLeds in PAR 36 in a pitch black Idaho mountain meadow. No contest AeroLed wins hands down. Like switching from low beams to high in a car. 

bumper

This was my impression too. I went to AOPA Summit last year with plans to buy an LED landing light. At the time, the Whelen was ready to go and the AeroLED was just a prototype and not certified yet. My impression was that the Aero LED unit was superior, but since it wasn't available, I bought the Whelen unit. I told myself at the time that I might buy the Aero LED when available and then sell the Whelen on the used market. Now that I can actually do this, will I...? The price for them is pretty steep. The one for $1600 is insane.

• Like 1

• 4 years later...

Hi everyone. I’m reviving an old thread with my recent experience with a switch from the Whalen Parmetheus to the AeroLEDS Sunspot LX Par 46.   A couple years ago we got rid of our GE incandescent landing lights on our helicopters, at my place of employment, and replaced them with Whalen Parmetheus Plus landing lights.  I think everyone was a little disappointed with the brightness compared to the old incandescent lights. 

Last week we switched to the $650 dollar AeroLEDS Sunspot LX and wow! What a difference!  The Sunspot provides much more light, and on final, more of the runway is illuminated while a focused beam still illuminates the center of the light.  All of the pilots are in agreement.  I’m going to get one for my plane in the near future.  I highly recommend the Sunspot.

Edited by NotarPilot
Actually proofread my gibberish

15 hours ago, NotarPilot said:

Last week we switched to the $650 dollar AeroLEDS Sunspot LX and wow! What a difference!  The Sunspot provides much more light and on final more of the runway in illuminated while a focused beam still illuminates the center of the beam.  All of the pilots are in agreement.  I’m going to get one for my plane in the near future.  I highly recommend the Sunspot.

If anyone decides to get one, PM me. I'm happy to pass on my Aircraft Spruce discount on this or anything else Aircraft Spruce sells.

5a921bd6dd63e_ScreenShot2018-02-24at8_12_48PM.thumb.png.30b1d107eb8180c6ea050ce9a5977ffc.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Aeroleds Sunspot 46 LX is 5.6” diameter, built in wig-wag and an extraordinary 7700 lumen. They have a soon to be ( a couple months) certified light built off the Experimental Sunspot 36-4596. This Is 4.4” diameter, built in wig-wag and 11,000 lumen!  I’m holding off until it becomes available.

• Like 1

This was the difference when I changed to the sunspot. Been very happy with the 15 or so night landings and I haven’t shut it off since I installed it. LED is a great improvement and Aero added to it. Another side to the Sunspot over the Whelen it looks cool:)f0d7045a2711db0648648ddf1c04de07.jpg

If you were on the fence before, there isn’t an excuse with Lances offer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...