Creeping mixture control

Flymu2

I've noticed recently that after I lean for cruise the mixture control will start creeping toward rich, such that I have to readjust it every few minutes. It's a real PIA. My mechanic says he spoke with Mooney, that there's no adjustment, and that a new cable costs about $700. Ouch! Any alternatives?

Thanks,

Dennis Wolf

2000 M20S

I have the exact same issue with my mixture control.  I've found a "two cent" solution for the problem.  I've attempted to attach a photo of my solution.  Check for an attached photopost-7704-0-25032300-1377024952_thumb.jp.  It works great!  I just adjust the mixture control to the desired position and then place a rubber band around the mixture and the prop control.  I keep a couple of rubber bands on hand in the cockpit.

Great pic! Thanks.

My mechanic suggested the same thing, but I couldn't quite figure out what he was describing. A picture is worth a thousand words.

I have the exact same issue with my mixture control. I've found a "two cent" solution for the problem. I've attempted to attach a photo of my solution. Check for an attached photo Mixture Fix.jpg. It works great! I just adjust the mixture control to the desired position and then place a rubber band around the mixture and the prop control. I keep a couple of rubber bands on hand in the cockpit.

This reminds me of those "there, I fixed it" photos of people duct taping flashlights in place of broken headlights or mounting a window A/C unit into their car because they ran out of freon. It makes me proud to be with my kind of people. 'MERICA!

Never underestimate the power of rubber.

The leather trick works -- just be careful about putting in too big a piece b/c once it's jammed down in there you won't get it back out...ask me how I know...I'd recommend a piece about 1/8" by 11/2" for starters.

Ditto on the rubber band trick being genius!!!

So, the rubber band worked! A bit of a pain in the neck to manage, but effective.

The question now is how to replace the mixture control. My mechanic says there are two sources - the company that makes them for the factory, and another firm called ACS (I think). He says the Mooney factory model is about $700, and the ACS has to be custom made but much less, maybe $100-200.

Anyone have any experience with replacing a mixture control?

Thanks,

Dennis Wolf