Mooney gets better clearances?

201er

Do you feel that you are more likely to get cleared into bravo/charlie, direct, through TFR, or preferred routing by flying a Mooney? Do ATC controllers give some preference by make? Or is it to do with greater pilot skills from most Mooney pilots? Or is it all the same whether you're flying a 152 or Acclaim?

IMHO, treatment from ATC largely depend on their perception of how much of a burden and liability you are going to be.

What ATC needs from a pilot:

Good radio skills ( brief, pay attention, ...)

Keep a heading

Maintain altitude

Mooneys are usually autopilot equipped

Mooney pilots : usually more than 250 hours - Mo and Bo are not rental aircraft

Do you feel that you are more likely to get cleared into bravo/charlie, direct, through TFR, or preferred routing by flying a Mooney? Do ATC controllers give some preference by make? Or is it to do with greater pilot skills from most Mooney pilots? Or is it all the same whether you're flying a 152 or Acclaim?

As was said I do think the controllers size you up as reliable or not based on your radio work and your heading compliance.  Even still, I think a Mooney - or a Bonanza - has a better chance than a 152 since I think they want you to roughly fit into flow.

What makes you think you should or will get preferential treatment based on make?

I certainly don't expect preferential treatment from ATC, and preferred routes are there for a reason.

We're all in the system together.

Having said that, professionalism and courtesy go a long way. Every conversation I make with ATC invariably contains the word "please" and on hand-off my parting words are "...and thank you for you assistance today Sir (or Ma'am.)"

Don't know about the rest of you, but I am finding clearances through Class B air space to be more and more difficult. I regularly fly around ATL and you would think the TN/GA border is too close for comfort. I really appreciate help from ATC and know they have a job to do but can't understand why 5000' separation and 40 miles is necessary. 

I fly from mn to East Chicago almost every week and I think some remember the pilot and tail number after a while, and I can say I get to my destination faster by going ifr because I get to cut though Bravo almost every time.

Main things that will get you though bravo:

1. Don't file some rediculus routing. All the controllers have their favorite points ex. Chicago is Simmn or JOT at 3 or 4k. Which gets you out of the way and under traffic.

2. Don't sound like a idiot on the radio.

3. Like said above clear quick consise messages containing please and thank you go along way.

4. And don't be a darn pilot gangster on the radio with the stupid sign off phrase. Pretty sure most controllers don't appreciate SEEEEEEEEEEEEE..........YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Might remember you next time.

I fly from mn to East Chicago almost every week and I think some remember the pilot and tail number after a while, and I can say I get to my destination faster by going ifr because I get to cut though Bravo almost every time.

1. Don't file some rediculus routing. All the controllers have their favorite points ex. Chicago is Simmn or JOT at 3 or 4k. Which gets you out of the way and under traffic.

3. Like said above clear quick consise messages containing please and thank you go along way.

4. And don't be a darn pilot gangster on the radio with the stupid sign off phrase. Pretty sure most controllers don't appreciate SEEEEEEEEEEEEE..........YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA. Might remember you next time.

Absolutely.

Actually, I never file through the Bravo if I am passing through, but I always file IFR when I am anywhere near busy airspace passing through as I just find it easier and less stressful regarding routing around where I am allowed to be.  And almost always when near such airspaces I get one or even several mid flight course corrections ("933 advise when ready to copy") that often end up sending me through the Bravo.  Not to long ago I was sent directly over the top of Dulles airport at 2000ft - they don't do that to VFR traffic no matter how good your radio talk I suspect.  At 180GS, and sharp on the radio and assigned bearings, sitting from the controller's seat, I figure that they figured it was the easiest way to pass me to the next guy's scope.

I don't think it is me. I follow the AIM radio guide, file reasonable routes and altitudes. I also regularly do fly in Bravo around CLT and other spaces. But they keep pushing me out further and further from ATL. You can fly VFR and go right under the deck if you want. And that may be my best alternative. I have the same trouble in Orlando. I never get cleared through on my flights to S. Florida. Last trip from CLT to Alabama, I routed around ATL Bravo. CLT controller told me "good news" and cleared me direct only to have ATL center reroute me back to original filed route back up north after I was about 40miles out from ATL Bravo. 

Don't know about the rest of you, but I am finding clearances through Class B air space to be more and more difficult. I regularly fly around ATL and you would think the TN/GA border is too close for comfort. I really appreciate help from ATC and know they have a job to do but can't understand why 5000' separation and 40 miles is necessary. 

Phoenix has a reputation for being difficult to work with so was sure to stay IFR today.  Approach took me from south of Phoenix straight over the top of PHX then direct to Deer Valley.  DFW has been normal lately too- accommodating where possible.

Maybe it's something going on at ATL?

Mike , where do you come up with this stuff ......I love you to death , but your recent posts are just ...well.....Assanine.....You get cleared through according to their workload......and possibly the traffic at your position.....blue skies......

Mike , where do you come up with this stuff ......I love you to death , but your recent posts are just ...well.....Assanine.....You get cleared through according to their workload......and possibly the traffic at your position.....blue skies......

Alan, your recent posts aren't any more ass-nine than always. I dunno if it's cause I was a beginner when flying other stuff, cause I'm based out of under the bravo, or cause I fly a Mooney, but regardless of workload I get cleared into NY and PHL bravo 9/10 times VFR. The rare occasions I wasn't, it was very clear that workload didn't permit. Heck most of those times I didn't even find a long enough break to ask.

Alan, your recent posts aren't any more ass-nine than always. I dunno if it's cause I was a beginner when flying other stuff, cause I'm based out of under the bravo, or cause I fly a Mooney, but regardless of workload I get cleared into NY and PHL bravo 9/10 times VFR. The rare occasions I wasn't, it was very clear that workload didn't permit. Heck most of those times I didn't even find a long enough break to ask.

Mike I am an internet troll....My posts are supposed to be assenine.....I was under the impression that you were above all that.....

I get regular clearances through my local class B but it is not as busy as some and my favorite Class B to visit is quite busy and the destination is very close to the main airport quite tricky at times.

I put on my flight plans no SIDS and no STARS.  However, I look at them and try to include some of the waypoints in my flight plan.  I’m not sure  if this help any but I do it.