Flying a Mooney to Europe

adrian

Adrian I always carry HF for route flexibility. On the CYYR-BIRK route they have never asked me to switch to HF. But I have alway flown at FL150 or higher. Even at that altitude Gander VHF coverage is not 100%.

Attached are pictures of my HF radio. I have the Icom 706 which is very popular among ferry pilots and works very well on the North Atlantic.

Since there is no XM\WX coverage over the NAT I tune on HF for VOLMETS for weather information.

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOLMET

José

post-6932-0-43475300-1377283994_thumb.jp

post-6932-0-89195400-1377284026_thumb.jp

Adrian I always carry HF for route flexibility. On the CYYR-BIRK route they have never asked me to switch to HF. But I have alway flown at FL150 or higher. Even at that altitude Gander VHF coverage is not 100%.

Attached are pictures of my HF radio. I have the Icom 706 which is very popular among ferry pilots and works very well on the North Atlantic.

Since there is no XM\WX coverage over the NAT I tune on HF for VOLMETS for weather information.

Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VOLMET

José

I have the IC-706 Mk II as well and considering installing it in the Mooney and would like to be able to removable for terrestrial use as well. What kind of antenna set up do you have? Thanks.

Sriram

I have the Icom 706

I looked at the same. With the MARS mod, and an auto-tuner added it would be ideal. I was thinking of a portable installation, as I won't be doing this journey regularly. I have been told that on departure from Goose Bay nowadays, you are transferred to Gander who do an HF check; also physical checks have apparently been carried out at Goose.

In Reykjavik we saw a beautiful M20K, fitted with a retractable HF antenna. That would be a much better solution than a temporary fixed antenna. I see from flightaware that it is now in Toronto - registration N400MW. It seemed to be particularly well equipped for long distance flying. Unfortunately I didn't get to meet the pilot.

I have the IC-706 Mk II as well and considering installing it in the Mooney and would like to be able to removable for terrestrial use as well. What kind of antenna set up do you have? Thanks.

Sriram

Five years ago I wrote this document http://www.ad4c.us/ICOM%20HF%20manuals/706%20in%20Mooney4.pdf

for ferry pilots. I was kind of frustrated hearing about poor HF performance. I found out that it was mostly due to the poor installations set ups and improper HF operation.

Based on my experience on HF as a ham and engineer here are my 2 cents:

1. Avoid using trailing wire antennas. They act like a big static discharge wick creating a lot of static noise on reception. If you encounter St Elmos Fire your HF reception is gone. The wire attached to the trailing funnel flutters and breaks off. I had this happens to me in Santa Maria. Luckily the guys allowed me the use of the hangar to do the repairs. Trailing wire antennas can not be tested or used on the ground. With a fix wire antenna you can get flight plan clearances on the ground. That's when I decided on a different antenna approach

2. Do not use the Icom AH-4 antenna tuner. It only works down to 7 MHz with the 15ft' wire antenna and it has a several anti-resonant points. I found the SG-237 to be a much better tuner. But it will not work efficiently on grounded wires like the aviation type.

3. Do not use the Icom microphone, it is not noise cancelling and introduces a lot of engine noise. Instead use a regular aviation microphone. If the Icom is not wired to yor audio panel just make a microphone adapter that plugs to the control panel bottom side. Set the Icom microphone setting to 1 instead of the deafault 5

4. Do not use ANR headsets. The EMI field generated during transmission will couple to the headset creating a feedback effect that causes a squeal on transmission.

5. Besides the extended frequency modification install in the Icom the temperature stabilized xtal oscillator CR-282. Because the transceiver is in a non heated environment it is subject to a wide temperature range thus causing a frequency shift. The CR-282 is a xtal in an a small oven at constant temperature. 

6. Preprogram the NAT and Volmets frequencies and modes. If desired the WLO duplex frequencies http://www.shipcom.com/frequencies.html for phone patches.

7. Unlike a pilot friendly HF radio the Icom 706MKIIG is a multimode transceiver more capable than aviation HF radios. Thus is more complex to operate. But by preprogramming the NAT frequencies on different memory channels operation can be simplified. Try to get help from a ham radio operator familiar with the radio.

8. Become familiar with NAT position reports procedures by listening other pilots. If you are in the east coast you can hear them on the ground.   

The Icom 706MKIIG has an audio processor that helps clear the background noise.

New York Oceanic Radio employs dual polarization antennas that greatly reduces HF fading.

HF technology has improved  a lot since the days of vacuum tube radios. When properly installed and operated it provides reliable communication as good as VHF. Many airlines employ HF ACARS for weather and routing data. Unlike Inmarsat (Geo Sats) HF works over the poles.

Hope the above helps anyone contemplating the use of HF.

José 

I looked at the same. With the MARS mod, and an auto-tuner added it would be ideal. I was thinking of a portable installation, as I won't be doing this journey regularly. I have been told that on departure from Goose Bay nowadays, you are transferred to Gander who do an HF check; also physical checks have apparently been carried out at Goose.

In Reykjavik we saw a beautiful M20K, fitted with a retractable HF antenna. That would be a much better solution than a temporary fixed antenna. I see from flightaware that it is now in Toronto - registration N400MW. It seemed to be particularly well equipped for long distance flying. Unfortunately I didn't get to meet the pilot.

I had the HF transfer from St. John's to Santa Maria but not from Goose Bay. It may depend on your destination and cruising altitude. I have got the ground inspection at CYYT but never at CYYR. I have seen ferry pilots bringing an HF radio in a brief case just to pass the inspection. Later in-flight they do VHF position reports via airlines above. 

For ferry flights I use the tail access opening with a custom made access panel with an insulator. I run the wire to the fin top and then to one of the wing front bottom access panel screw with a piece of rope for insulation. This way there is no need for drilling holes. At your final destination you can remove the whole HF contraption in less than half hour and put it in a small suit case. The only problem I always have is getting back home via airline the raft, life jackets and other equipment. Airlines will not take rafts due to the compressed air tank. On the next day after my arrival I try to find a FEDEX office to ship the raft back home. Make sure you have the FEDEX office address at your destination.

On a return flight back to the US with LTU the inspector ask me why I was carrying a life jacket. I told him because I do not have confidence on the plane and could not get the parachute but instead the jacket. The jacket still somewhere in Hamburg.

José 

• Like 1

José, thanks for the useful information. If I ever bring the Mooney back to the US, I will certainly look at an installation like yours.

In the meantime, the problem is getting home.... My aeroplane has now been imported into Europe (and I am much poorer as a result), and I have made it to Troyes airport, just an hour from home. I tried leaving yesterday, having been assured by the on-site meteorologist that there was no significant convective activity on my route.

I'm not sure how bad it would have had to be for her to call it "significant", but moderate turbulence, >1000fpm updrafts, lightning and torrential rain, were clues that it might be best to turn back. And because it is holiday season in France, the airport has run out of avgas, and I no longer have enough in the tanks to fly anywhere else with IFR reserves!

Still, it is nice to be back in France. The wine and cheese last night were superb!

Adrian, if it is of any help check with Francoise Horiot at Troyes Aviation. She used to be my Mooney connection at Troyes several years ago. For weather try on your smart phone  http://www.woeurope.eu/ There are other WX websites you may want to look.

Things must be precarious at Troyes/Barberey when they ran out of AVGAS. What is the AVGAS price? 

Good Luck

José

I had a long chat yesterday with Alain Horiot, and was able to buy some oil. (The airport manager told me that the airport used to sell oil, but stopped several years ago because it was "too complicated".... it is going to take me some time to re-adapt to flying in Europe after the last few hundred hours in America.)

Weather looks good today, once the morning fog clears back home, I can get some fuel nearby now that conditions are VFR.

Finally properly home.  It's amazing what you can do in a 1966 M20E, which I bought for about $20,000 just last year.  With a bit of TLC, and a smattering of new toys, it has become a fabulous travelling machine.

Thanks to everyone on this thread for your support and encouragement!

• Like 1

• 3 years later...
On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2013 at 8:38 PM, Piloto said:

I had the HF transfer from St. John's to Santa Maria but not from Goose Bay. It may depend on your destination and cruising altitude. I have got the ground inspection at CYYT but never at CYYR. I have seen ferry pilots bringing an HF radio in a brief case just to pass the inspection. Later in-flight they do VHF position reports via airlines above. 

For ferry flights I use the tail access opening with a custom made access panel with an insulator. I run the wire to the fin top and then to one of the wing front bottom access panel screw with a piece of rope for insulation. This way there is no need for drilling holes. At your final destination you can remove the whole HF contraption in less than half hour and put it in a small suit case. The only problem I always have is getting back home via airline the raft, life jackets and other equipment. Airlines will not take rafts due to the compressed air tank. On the next day after my arrival I try to find a FEDEX office to ship the raft back home. Make sure you have the FEDEX office address at your destination.

On a return flight back to the US with LTU the inspector ask me why I was carrying a life jacket. I told him because I do not have confidence on the plane and could not get the parachute but instead the jacket. The jacket still somewhere in Hamburg.

José 

Do you have a picture of this Jose' ?  What kind of wire and how long?

In this document http://www.ad4c.us/ICOM HF manuals/706 in Mooney4.pdf  I see screws on top of cabin and top of vertical fin! I like the idea of no holes!

Thanks.

2 hours ago, PTK said:

Do you have a picture of this Jose' ?  What kind of wire and how long?

In this document http://www.ad4c.us/ICOM HF manuals/706 in Mooney4.pdf  I see screws on top of cabin and top of vertical fin! I like the idea of no holes!

Thanks.

If the HF is just for ferry I install a fabricated panel with an ADF insulator for the access panel just below were my ADF insulator is. This is the area were you locate the tuner with ty-wraps to the vent tube. Attach the wire insulator to the top of the fin (there is already a small hole there). From the fin top go to the left wing leading and attach the insulator to one of access panels screw on the wing. I have mine to the fuselage top to keep it away from people getting tangle with it. Very important that you check your HF on the ground by calling New York LDOC or WLO or a ham operator before crossing the Atlantic.

José

On 29 August 2013 at 5:57 PM, Piloto said:

I am impress Adrian, doing it on a M20E is not trivial, congratulations. When you have a chance post more pictures, love to see them.

José

Three and a bit years later...... here are the photos you asked for!  No captions (sorry!), but they show the departure from Maine, arrival in Quebec, then stops in Kuujjuaq, Sondrestromfjord, Kulusuk, Reykjavik, Faroe Islands, Prestwick, and finally my home base at Villefranche in France. 

https://goo.gl/photos/ZZZBGQqFHnGAeDbt8 

• Like 6